Chimney/Steamboat rocks Larimer cty.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
CSUMarmot

Chimney/Steamboat rocks Larimer cty.

by CSUMarmot » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:23 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Chimney(Camel) Rock near the Wyoming border near Eaton Res. or N./S. Steamboat rocks near 287 above Livermore. Technical, if so, what rating?
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Brian C

Re: Chimney/Steamboat rocks Larimer cty.

by Brian C » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:04 pm

I don't know anything about them but I'd love to go out and give them a try. Shoot me a PM if you're looking for a partner or wouldn't mind another coming along.
-Brian

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:25 am

I've looked at those two last summer when I was up quad-pointing that way. I know they're technical but likewise, don't know the rating.
I've also heard South Steamboat Rock aledgedly has a small plaque up there with Mark Twain's signature on it as 'the stage' use to run pretty close to there (Virginia Dale).
I think, once you leave 287 and exit onto dirt 82 (east), drive across the ranch for a few miles to a non-descript cattle road on the left and I'm assuming drive this as far or at least as reasonable, park and hoof it. Tons of private property to the east of Steamboat and north (via Red Mountain). Technically, the ranch is to obviously but since it's open range, I think 'the rules' may be a bit laxed. Although, I did have a bull charge me over the summer en route to another quad point. Had to leap down into a wash to escape.
If you end up going, like Brian, I'd be VERY interested in coming with ya!

I still need Livermore Mountain too.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:24 am

Thanks for the info guys
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Return to Colorado