9 Fourteeners in California?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
The Chief

Re: 9 Fourteeners in California?

by The Chief » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:49 am

Oh contrar Master Emblem pursuing Bobpiceckering, I am very interested in this thread and how some perceive/d these 14ers. Or should I say, what many thought were 14ers. The discussions here in are rather, should I say, humorous. Appears that the new data and fact that some of them are no longer 14ers, really pissed you off.

I also know for a fact that upon first reading my post above, you actually spit the entire mouthful of your mornings coffee all over your monitor screen in laughter. And, that deep down inside them crotchety 14er bagging and snow angle protractor tool bowels of yours, you really do respect my in depth, true, very relative, interesting & colorful consistent comments and opinions here on SP.

BTW, fishing was grand today over at the river.

Over and Out

Rob

by Rob » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm

BTW, fishing was grand today over at the river.

Did somebody ask about the fishing?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm

The Chief wrote:Unfkingbelievable already.... Who gives a flying ass fuck how accurate the elevation of these "points" sticking up into the higher reaches of the atmosphere are?

A lot of us are more interested in the technology and science behind definition of elevation. Photogrammetry made a lot of mistakes, and lidar is not immune. I'd think SAR folks would be interested in this stuff. DEMs can give a very misleading view of the roughness of terrain. Around here, there are areas where photogrammetry resulted in putting non-existent peaks on ridges, or quite goofy elevations on others, for the USGS topos used by SAR. The last time I dealt with this problem, in an SAR-coordinated "rescue," was yesterday. Whenever folks talk about more accurate DEMs, I listen.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:33 am

Another awesome day of fishing at the River just Northeast of all them has been 14ers.

MoapaPk: Visual during the day and NVG's at night. DEMS are a moot issue when Helo shortroping onto a small peak or teet on a ridge where the pick up/extraction point may be.

Over and Out.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 pm

As someone whos taken a surveying class and likes to climb mountains(no matter what elevation, did you pick 'chest pounding 14er climbers' because they were an easy target, Chief?) I give a flying fuck about the true elevation of a mountain, not that a 14000 or 13000 number makes me any more likely to climb it.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

surgent

by surgent » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Me too. Anything numerical or mathematical with overlap into climbing, I give a FF, too.

As a former SAR member, the littlest errors can really cause trouble in the field. A lot of our own team weren't even aware of mundane things like NAD27 and WGS84 in the early days of GPS (about 2000).

So yes, these things are interesting.

Previous

Return to California