RMNP Solo in Late Feb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
midwestcoast

RMNP Solo in Late Feb

by midwestcoast » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:39 am

I've got some cash burning through my wallet, looking at 10 days of no classes in late February and although my friend just backed out of MTB plans in Moab, it's still a nice place to be. Coming from Minneapolis solo, I don't really want to drive to Moab and bike around in the desert, so I was thinking of doing some snowshoeing in RMNP. Wondering if anybody has some tips on winter camping up there or nice trails to snowshoe should conditions permit ? I've done a fair amount of solo backpacking, hiking in the mountains and snowshow in Minnesota often, but I've never been snowshoeing in the mountains. I'm not looking for anything serious, I really just want to camp out for a few days and do some day trips, preferably avoiding anything that would have higher-avalanche risk. Any ideas ? Does anybody know if there are even any CG's within the park that are plowed out and open during winter ? Thanks guys.

Kruck

Re: RMNP Solo in Late Feb

by Kruck » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Not sure about CGs, but winter camping in RMNP is kind of a free-for-all. Check with the rangers' office to make sure they still have that policy. A good camping spot if you don't mind lugging some stuff uphill is near where the trail from Glacier Gorge TH forks to become the "Glacier Gorge" trail (right) and the "Sprague" trail (left). You might even find a platform already leveled there from previous climbers/skiers. If you can navigate lots of deadfall from a storm earlier in the year, the trail to Black Lake from here is nice in winter and only crosses slide zones when slide danger is Very High or Extreme. Realistically, in "extreme" conditions, you really don't want to be out in RMNP anywhere, so keep checking the CAIC website or hotline as you get close to Colo.
Another great snowshoe/ski is the Lake Helene classic ski tour. You can snowshoe it if you must. This departs from the Bear Lake TH, just uphill from Glacier Gorge TH. Once you get to the open treeless section on the flank of Flattop Mtn, however, you might be on your own as far as routefinding is concerned, depending on recent snowfall and the schedules of skiers.
Also from Glacier Gorge, the Loch is a nice place to visit, and provides access to all kinds of travel lines you may or may not be comfortable with, depending on snow conditions.
The Wild Basin TH provides a dearth of low-angle tree travel if there's enough snow for it.
I guess I could go on and on. PM me if you want more info. Also, SP is crawling with RMNP nuts so you'll get a lot more replies to this, I assume. There's a lifetime of exploration waiting for you up in there--especially in winter.
As far as avy conditions are concerned, just keep checking CAIC and, if you don't know how to "see" avalanche terrain or traps, just find and ask a ranger about your next few days' plans--they're very, very conservative with their advice.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:34 pm

I believe backcountry camping in winter is free, but you still need a permit from the backcountry office or whatever. Wild Basin is a popular area, if you want seclusion try something in the Mummy Range areas.

If you want a regular campground I'm pretty sure Moraine Park is open year round and wont have a ton of snow(depending on hwhen youre coming, just got ~2 feet in Estes this week)
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Definitely watch the avy danger. I haven't looked up north (avy web site is down right now), but conditions in the San Juans are pretty bad. Friday, there was fairly deep (up to a foot in places) slabs sitting on a deep layer of sugar. We had a lot of cracking and settling, and saw three different natural avalanches.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:22 am

As far a camping goes, Moraine Park is open all year and is the only campground in the park that is open. Was there today, on the Glacier Gorge Tr. Quite a few folks, mostly snowshoers and lots (17ish inches) of new snow and as mconnell pointed out, avalanche danger is high.

Lots of opportunities, stay tuned to conditions and watch the steeper stuff.

Return to Colorado