Utah Avalanche Conditions 2011-2012

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Wasatch Summits

Re: Utah Avalanche Conditions 2011-2012

by Wasatch Summits » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:33 pm

TyeDyeTwins wrote:Thanks for your post Phenom...wondering where to go on the LCC/BCC ridge tomorrow...this post helps on the decision making process.

Glad to have helped out. Pretty interesting conditions up there!

Decided to head back up Superior/Monte/Cardiff yesterday. Weather was gorgeous perfection. Not much in the way of avalanche risk, most all the snow especially south facing is crusted up pretty good. Along the ridge up there above 11,000 there were some soft pockets of blown snow on the north aspect, though sparse. While heading between Superior and Monte Cristo I noticed that the cornices had seperated from the ridge is several locations.

Heading up the east ridge.

Looking south at Cardiac.

Looking at Monte from Superior. Notice the shell impact in the center of the photo. UDOT avy control work?

C. Ridge.

Looking east from Monte.

Looking at Flagstaff and Cardiff Peaks.

Here's some video.

http://youtu.be/LoXXJF52B8c

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXXJF52B8c[/youtube]

Snow was nice and hard packed in the a.m., then quickly turned to putrescent gulash by noon. Didn't really matter, it was nice to get out in the brilliant sun for the day. :D

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:26 pm

March 19th POWDER DAY OF THE SEASON!!!!

Only explitives can explain the powder yesterday! Skied down West Monitor with BLOWER "I can't see a thing every single turn" powder! Simply amazing. There was about 2 feet of new snow on that steep slope and the best part is it was actually stable. Got tons of face shots, powder shots with the camera and then made our way back up to the Park City/Big Cottonwood Ridge. At the top we decided to ski down Wills Hill and the powder was more of the same. Unforchunately the long shlog out was a major pain in the ass....but powder like that is well worth it. I think the picutres can explain just how good the day was better than words.

Troy skiing over the head powder on West Monitor

Troy skiing the lower slopes of West Monitor

Troy skiing Wills Hill

Troy on the lower roll over of Wills Hill

Some art on a tree in Willow Fork

The following user would like to thank TyeDyeTwins for this post
Wasatch Summits

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:49 am

Jealous! Killer shots TyedyeTwins, several of those where all you see are gloves are sick. I'm hoping the snowpack has a bit of resemblance to that this weekend, though with these projected temps it looks dubious.

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:09 am

Toured Red Baldy this morning, snow was decent considering all the heat. Skinned up White Pine, and up the west ridge. Ditched the skis near the west summit, and booted it over to the east summit and back. Noticed a larger deep slab avalanche on the south face, perhaps 400 vertical feet beneath the summit ridge. Other than that is was stable up there, and was fun to glide out.

Here's a shot of that slide, bottom center of the photo.

More shots of the area and current conditions while up there:

Video:

http://youtu.be/BhDlsHyBlv8

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhDlsHyBlv8[/youtube]

The following user would like to thank Wasatch Summits for this post
TyeDyeTwins

vanman798

by vanman798 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Anyone have any beta on the ski conditions of the SE face of Superior up in LCC? From the Bird it looks a bit bare, but there were tracks on it. Are folks skiing through the crux or just skinning up to the crux and skiing down from below it?

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm

vanman798 wrote:Anyone have any beta on the ski conditions of the SE face of Superior up in LCC? From the Bird it looks a bit bare, but there were tracks on it. Are folks skiing through the crux or just skinning up to the crux and skiing down from below it?

My guess is they skinned up to the crux. While heading down canyon yesterday we saw a group bootpacking up at the lower apron...we assumed they were heading up to the Suicide Chute but who knows maybe they went up to the crux of superior. Another fact is that I was skiing Two Trees a few weeks ago and there were already rocks poking out where I usually never see...even in late April...lots of melting has occured since then! I could only imagine how bad the top crux would be right now...I skied the south face from the summit 2 years ago and even when everywhere else was fat it was REALLY skinny getting in. Hope this helps...will post an observation from yesterday later today.

seanpeckham

vanman798

by vanman798 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks TyeDyeTwins. It sure seems folks are just going from below the crux.

seanpeckham

by seanpeckham » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:32 am

Yeah, thanks for that TyeDye, and thanks for asking, vanman. I was checking it out from snowbird on Saturday, hoping to ski it this week, and it looked really thin, and I didn't see where the tracks below the crux came down from, so though I tried to look for a boot track and didn't find one, what you're saying does make sense. The time I skied it (with vanman) was a few years ago in mid-May, and it was nicely filled. Strange year this.

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:29 am

Sunday April 1st

Oh how April 1st was a good day to stay home. The freezing temps caused all aspects and elevations to freeze up and a mighty 1 inch of new snow blanketed the wasatch. Looked at North Davenport and opted out thanks to frozen roller balls making the run look terrible. Considering the slope conditions were gonna be the same regardless of which way we went...our group of 4 went back down Grizzly Gulch's Matilda Bowl...and it was aweful! A nice warm corn day would be much better than that shit. Only took the 1 lap and called it a day.

Troy skiing Grizzly Gulch. This picture makes the snow look much better than it really was.

Wasatch Summits

Previous

Return to Utah