Monterosa Hutte in end of April/beginning of May

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
izikeros

Monterosa Hutte in end of April/beginning of May

by izikeros » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:00 am

I would like to get information on conditions that I can expect on ascent to Monterosa Hutte on early May. I have two main questions.
1) I plan to start from Rottenboden and do traverse to the glacier - is there avalanche risk since I expect snow on the Gornergrat slope?
2) Do you think that is likely that rocks (ascent from glacier to the old Hutte) will be covered by the snow that time? If so - is it far more difficult than in summer time?

Can you point me a reliable tourist information that can assist me when I would like to obtain in formation on current state of the walking trails?
I know this trail well but from the summer perspective.

Woodie Hopper

Re: Monterosa Hutte in end of April/beginning of May

by Woodie Hopper » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Can you point me a reliable tourist information that can assist me when I would like to obtain in formation on current state of the walking trails?
I know this trail well but from the summer perspective.[/quote]

You might try asking Club Alpin Zermatt- they are a guide service, but they do share information regarding conditions.

Woodie

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:07 pm

I would expect few snow and normally low avalanche risk on the descent from gornergrat to the glacier, since it is south-sided. Of course you should inform yourself few days in advance (slf.ch) plus ask the hut warden.

The slope below the hut should have a solid snow-path from the ski mountaineers aiming for the hut. I would not expect a snow-free trail at that time of the year.

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Currently there's a good amount of snow. Avalanche danger isn't too high, but your best bet is probably to call the hut and ask them about the approach. They'll have the best info.

The following user would like to thank WouterB for this post
izikeros

Return to Europe