Cloudripper from Big Pine Lakes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hikinedd

Cloudripper from Big Pine Lakes

by hikinedd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I visited Cloudripper ten years ago via South Lake and now want to do it from Big Pine Lakes and the East Ridge in a few weeks. Humbly:

1. Where's the trailhead and where do you park for overnighters? On my topo one trail begins at the Palisade Group Camp and another at the corral. Sifting through info here, Glacier Lodge is mentioned but there doesn't appear to be a direct trail out of there. We'll likely arrive the night before packing in and camp next to the car.

2. This will be a relaxed, 3-day trip, pack in Friday, peak Saturday and pack out Sunday. Of the seven lakes, which is the best for camping? We may also meander down to Sam Mack Meadow and the Palisade Glacier, making Fourth Lake a leading candidate.

I'm enormously appreciative of any and all advice. Thanks!

Edd

mrchad9

Re: Cloudripper from Big Pine Lakes

by mrchad9 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Overnight trailhead is in the center of the map using link below. Go to the satellite view and it is obvious. In between in the corral and Palisade Group camp on the topo.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=37 ... 8&t=m&z=18

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
hikinedd

hikinedd

by hikinedd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks for the TH info. Still deciding on which of the Big Pine Lakes would be ideal, though Fourth looks to be the best positioned.

hikinedd

by hikinedd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Found some photos on Google Earth; Fourth Lake appears to be the one. That'll do it.

Return to California