First time in the rockies?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
edisant

First time in the rockies?

by edisant » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:16 am

For a few years now, some friends and I have been doing winter backpacking trips. We're all rock climbers and have done pretty decent hiking routes. This winter we were considering taking it up a notch and doing something in the rockies. We'd like to do a mountain, but aren't sure we have the proper experience for a winter summit.

My question is this: Can a group with our level of experience expect to find any kind of success by employing a guide or other type of service to get up a summit? Or do you think we, who are experienced in somewhat related fields, could fare alright on a lesser climb?

Any info or advice you could give would be much appreciated. Info we're looking for includes good novice winter hikes/climbs/summits and any resources for finding a guide service. Or simply the level of experience necessary for a lower level summit. We're only trying to figure out what our options are.

Thanks.

no avatar
luzak00

Re: First time in the rockies?

by luzak00 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:23 am

Lots of top-notch guides operate out of Colorado. You're best off getting ahold of them directly to discuss options.

As far as names, Vince Anderson would be on my shortlist.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Which parts of the Rockies are you looking to go? The Rocky Mountains stretch from Alaska to New Mexico.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Bob Sihler

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Scott wrote:Which parts of the Rockies are you looking to go? The Rocky Mountains stretch from Alaska to New Mexico.

This is the same question I was about to ask. Giving us some idea where in the Rockies you are targeting will help the community better respond to your inquiry. -Sarah
Go climb a mountain

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:23 pm

If you're used to backpacking in the winter in Michigan you should be able to handle a winter ascent as long as you choose the right mountain. A guide is overkill in my opinion. My suggestion is to post your plans on Summitpost and try to find someone local to the area you want to go to and put together a group that will have a person experiencd in that area to go up with you.

Buckaroo

by Buckaroo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:49 am

The biggest winter hazard in the Rockies is avalanche. Wherever you end up going you need to access the local avalanche forecast center before you climb. Most every Rockies area has them now.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:01 am

Scott wrote:Which parts of the Rockies are you looking to go? The Rocky Mountains stretch from Alaska to New Mexico.

Which is why I don't know right now where to move this thread to.

OP...where?
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

pyerger

by pyerger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:

Which is why I don't know right now where to move this thread to.

OP...where?

Colorado is a great place for winter peakbagging, mainly because there is good road access to many 14ers, and other high peaks. there are also lots of sunny Dry days, in between snowstorms, and not quite as cold as Wyoming, Montana peaks. The down side is altitude,avy danger,and the winds can be brutal. If you decide on colorado/new Mexico You can climb peaks without a guide, depending on what you want to climb? Also check fourteeners.com, They have trip reports,forums, and mountain conditions for Colorado all year.

Return to General