CA Ice conditions 12/13

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Fire4x4

CA Ice conditions 12/13

by Fire4x4 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Couldn't find a current thread and with this next system coming through I figured it was time.

Checked out Cold Stream Canyon over the weekend. A few line we in but very thin (less than 1" in places). Had to be on the ice before 0900, water running behind it by 0930 and ice starting to detach by 1030. After this week I would guess that it should be good to go.

Anything else starting to form up?

I'm off of work until Jan 6. If you need a partner let me know.

Vitaliy M.

Re: CA Ice conditions 12/13

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm

apparently there's good ice.

have you seen it or have a report from someone who has?

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:54 pm

So what was the report and from when?

There is another thread on a different site with a few current reports:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... msg2008398

trying to decide if it is worth going. Will most likely go and if it is that bad, there is owens river gorge or bouldering...can't lose.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:00 am

No ice? That's not what the report says. Looks thin but not bad at all. Dry tooling might be possible. Approach will kind of suck in these conditions, especially with new snow coming.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 am

NO THE ICE IS NOT READY IN LVC!

That's a personal judgement call for those who do the hike up the canyon and see what is out there.

Fire4x4

by Fire4x4 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 pm

WTF...? 40 replies and 0 of them on CA Ice conditions! It's a great discussion but take it somewhere else. All of you are trolls at this point.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Fire4x4 wrote:WTF...? 40 replies and 0 of them on CA Ice conditions! It's a great discussion but take it somewhere else. All of you are trolls at this point.

Sent you a PM. Check your box.

Parker falls are pretty average to be honest. I really want to check out Lundy though.

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:48 pm

I would assume it is fair to say that everyone here, on a 1-10 scale of boredom with 10 being the upper limit, is damn near an 11 today. Just an observation given the content of this 'discussion'

The following user would like to thank Skateboards2Scrapers for this post
Fire4x4, Vitaliy M.

mzamp

by mzamp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm Heading to Tahoe over New Years. Looking to do some ice climbing inbetween ski days.
Not familiar with the area. What are the good areas to check out?

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Coldstream canyon could be really nice when in. And Sunny Falls area could be good too. Less of an approach that Coldstream. But coldstream is real good when in.

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Vitaliy, have you climbed at Coldstream before?

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Yes, I have climbed at Coldstream before it is awesome when there is ice.

Ice in Lee Vining is 'in' on Chouinard falls. Approach was not too bad at all- not a snow trail, plenty of boulder hopping but not as bad as I remember it last year at some point. With more snow fall it can get better or worse.

sharperblue

Tahoe Conditions

by sharperblue » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm

FYI, Spent the w/e in Tahoe, recon'd three of the Usual Suspect falls on S and W side while in the area: nothing; Sunny is utterly empty, wet rock only; nothing even remotely approaching climbable. Mid-late jan at earliest I'd say

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Post up some photos to validate your claim of "in".

One's interp of what "IN" is so relative to say the least.

From today's posted SMG LVC Ice Report, I would take the above as being one of those folks that does not know what "in" is for the C-Wall. Oh yeah, notice the Approach report???

"In" to me means can place screws in strong enough ice. I can place a few photos for you when I get home. Did not see anyone from SMG there on Sunday- conditions on ice vary day to day.
To go more into details- the right side of Chouinard was thick and nice. Left was more thin but had protectable lines. Far left (wi4 curtains) were not formed enough to be led (by me at least).

As I said regarding the approach, it is not a nice snow trail but doable for people who do not mind some boulder hopping or punching through in a few spots. Basically it was a no problem for anyone in my group (on Sunday). Took 45mins to an hour tops. You act like people should not go climbing if SMG posts the approach as grim- it's a personal judgement and how you define good approach vs bad approach. To me bad would be getting attacked by the bees or bush whacking for miles in thick brush. Some boulder hoping does not bother me.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:09 pm

The Chief wrote:
"In" to me means can place screws in strong enough ice. I can place a few photos for you when I get home. Did not see anyone from SMG there on Sunday- conditions on ice vary day to day.
To go more into details- the right side of Chouinard was thick and nice. Left was more thin but had protectable lines. Far left (wi4 curtains) were not formed enough to be led (by me at least).

As I said regarding the approach, it is not a nice snow trail but doable for people who do not mind some boulder hopping or punching through in a few spots. Basically it was a no problem for anyone in my group (on Sunday). Took 45mins to an hour tops. You act like people should not go climbing if SMG posts the approach as grim- it's a personal judgement and how you define good approach vs bad approach. To me bad would be getting attacked by the bees or bush whacking for miles in thick brush. Some boulder hoping does not bother me.

Please post up some photos so we can judge your definition of what is "in" compared to the Normal definition of what is really "In" for that area.

No photos No validity to your report.

And how many times have you been to LVC in the past, oh, let's say, ten years?

Or should I say the past year?

Be advised that the CONDITIONS in LVC DO NOT VARY from day to day from Jan through the 3rd week of Mar in a Normal Season. They are for the most part very consistent during that period of time. But then you would have known that if you have been there during a Normal Season.

What ever...

You have mental problems.

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
seano

Next

Return to California