Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Hike Leader

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Hike Leader

Postby boyblue » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:54 pm

One of the fun things about being a parent is bragging about your kids from time to time.

Here's a photo of my son, Matt, taken last Sunday as the 'hike leader' of his troop on Mt. Tamalpais. I barely recognised him without his Nintendo '3DS' in front of his face. :D
http://www.summitpost.org/matt/834810/c-545035
boyblue

Re: Hike Leader

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Very nice. They are a great organization in spite of a few flaws. Always good to get the kids out for some outdoor fun and the Boy Scouts does that better than anyone else.

He's sporting that map and compass well... he'll be patrol leader in no time!
mrchad9

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
boyblue

Postby boyblue » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

mrchad9 wrote:Very nice. They are a great organization in spite of a few flaws. Always good to get the kids out for some outdoor fun and the Boy Scouts does that better than anyone else.

He's sporting that map and compass well... he'll be patrol leader in no time!

I admit I had a few concerns about the organization before he joined cub scouts a few years ago, but they were mostly unfounded as it has turned out. I think a lot depends on the troop itself. His troop is very good and run by some excellent people- older kids and adults alike. Most importantly, he's having a great time and learning a lot of cool things about the outdoors! :)
boyblue

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am

Yup. With a dedicated group of scoutmasters they are first rate... the rest of the organization can be inconsequential.
mrchad9

Postby lcarreau » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 am

By golly .... I suppose "scouting" has changed a-lot since back when I was a scout in 1972 ..

lcarreau

Postby boyblue » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:16 am

^^ :D
...or since I was in 1967. If someday buying him a GPS will help stimulate more interest in doing some hikes with us (his family) or the scouts, then let's go shopping! :)

BTW, that's my old Silva compass he's wearing around his neck- I carried it up Shasta and several other 'nifty' places back in the '70s. I gave it to him and it makes me very happy to see he's actually using it. :)
boyblue

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander