Best areas for climbing/trekking October-November?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Ashers

Best areas for climbing/trekking October-November?

by Ashers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Guys!

I will be moving to Sao Paulo in Brazil on the 1st of September (quite exciting!) & from 1st of October -1st December will be outside of the country travelling.

I would ideally love to climb some mountains;
Previous experience;
Huayna Potsi (Guided)
Mont Blanc
And maybe Elbrus in June.

Any suggestions for some challenging climbs anywhere in South America during that time?

Also, I will be travelling its my girlfriend & we would like to do some treks. Any ideas on a particular trek or region?

Lastly! Which areas would be good to get in some rock climbing on a regular basis?

Thanks a lot in advance guys,

Ash

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Best areas for climbing/trekking October-November?

by Scott » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Any suggestions for some challenging climbs anywhere in South America during that time?

Try the mountains around Salta or Arequipa. They should be in season then and should be compatible with your experience.

Any ideas on a particular trek or region?

The Atacama and around Salta is usually in season then.

Ecuador can be reasonable, though it's not the ideal time to go.

Most other areas, October-November isn't the ideal time to go. Central and South Chile/Argentina might still have some good snow routes.

Basically, these are the ideal seasons for each part of the Andes (off the top of my head so I may have missed some):

Venezuela, Colombia: Mid-December through February (or sometimes into March).

Ecuador: December, January, June, July, and August.

Peru (non desert areas): Late May through August or September (June and July are prime).

Peru (desert areas): March through November.

Bolivia: Late May through August or September (June and July are prime). March through December are still good for the desert areas (such as around Licancabur).

Atacama Desert; Chile/Argentina: October through February, but this varies by the height of the peak (because of cold).

Salta area (Argentina): October through December.

Central Chile/Argentina through southern Argentina (unless skiing): December through early March.

Which areas would be good to get in some rock climbing on a regular basis?

Patagonia, Bariloche, and the Tres Cruces (Bolivia) are all good areas for this. Parts of the Cordillera Blanca as well.

Andes6000

by Andes6000 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Since you're doing Huayna Potosi I would recommend Pequeño Alpamayo because it's a great place to acclimate and is a sweet "little" peak.

no avatar
Ashers

by Ashers » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi Guys!,

Thanks so much for your response & apologies for such a late reply.

We've decided to plan a trek from Bariloche to Rio Manso and trek from the border into Cochamo for the climbing there is there.

Thanks again!

Return to South America