Zion west rim trail to Phantom Valley

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
H2SO4

Zion west rim trail to Phantom Valley

by H2SO4 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Does anyone know if there's a non-technical (say 4th class or easier) route from the west rim trail into Phantom Valley? Perhaps about 1/2 mile north of the northern of the two intersections with the telephone canyon trail? I've been reading other forums that indicate there is a way, but they're all either vague, or reference features that don't show on my map.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Zion west rim trail to Phantom Valley

by Scott » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm

There is a way from the West Rim, but I don't think it could be called non-technical. You would probably want ropes in at least two locations.

There is a ropeless way out of Right Fork into Phantom Valley, using the same trailhead (Lava Point) as the West Rim, which route may be what you are thinking of. Still, it's a stretch to call it non-technical and the entire route is very rugged.

There are at least two long and rugged, but non-technical routes into Phantom Valley from Coalpits/Terry Wash and Right Fork/Trail Canyon. If you want a non-technical route in, these are your best bets, but they are still very long and rugged.

H2SO4

Re: Zion west rim trail to Phantom Valley

by H2SO4 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:38 am

Thank you!

Return to Utah