Yosemite Tuolumne peak from the north?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
greggeisen

Yosemite Tuolumne peak from the north?

by greggeisen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 pm

I need some advice. I am leading a group of twelve Boyscouts and dads from White Wolf to May Lake in July. 5 days Backpacking and fishing. We would like to summit Tuolumne Peak. The Ten Lakes trail passes within 1/2 mile (600ft vert) to the north of Tuolumne Peak, but the only route i have seen on discussion boards have been coming from the South (May Lake). Looking a the Topo and Sat images it looks pretty easy from the North. Just wondering if anyone has approached from Ten Lakes Trail due north of the Peak?

mrchad9

Re: Yosemite Tuolumne peak from the north?

by mrchad9 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 pm

I don't have any specific information on the route, but as it happens when I did Tuolumne Peak a couple of years ago I ran into a ranger who had just done it from the north, just as you are considering. He had a pretty tremendously large pack, so although I didn't get any route information from him, at least you know one fellow was able to do it even with all that weight bogging him down.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:17 pm

I went up that route in Sept of 2000. From my notes:

"I left the trail and started up the ridge towards the summit. It is an enjoyable climb over some easily navigated terrain. At first it is a series of slabs and ledges, but about 500 feet below the summit is a small, beautiful meadow ..."

Beyond the meadow is a somewhat steep boulder field leading to the rounded north summit. The south summit, of nearly equal height, is about a quarter mile further. All of it is no more than class 2.

Boulder field above meadow:

labgloves

by labgloves » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:18 pm

It is a pretty nice hike from the pass - class 2, maybe class 1. There are a lot of options.

I did this peak from the north with a out-of-town friend on his first hike in the Sierra (Oct 2010). I believe we descended to to small lake just west of the pass, then found a large wide gully to gain significant elevation. The summit area was attained by some talus. I could probably dig up some pictures of the general terrain later.

sierraman

by sierraman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 am

Some years ago I descended the north side after ascending from May Lake. There was no particular difficulty. The hardest part (for me descending) was not to overshoot the trail - not a problem for you.

sierraman

by sierraman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 am

On second thought, I just assumed you would be descending a different route for some reason. If you descend from the north as I did be careful to look for the trail. On the descent line I took the trail was concealed until I was on top of it. In fact, I had almost convinced myself I had descended past the trail and was about to turn around when it appeared.

Return to California