Cirque of the Towers timing and bugs

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
BLong

Cirque of the Towers timing and bugs

by BLong » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Hello,

We are planning a trip to The Cirque of the Towers, Wyoming from June 25th - the beginning of July. Does anyone know how this season's snowpack will influence the mosquitos this year? Also, is it possible to set up a high camp that is above the mosquitos (as in, camp above 10,000 feet and then come down for water to stay away from the most concentrated swarms).

Thanks!

b.

Re: Cirque of the Towers timing and bugs

by b. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:59 pm

That early you may not have to be very high to be above the bugs. The great thing about early season is there's water everywhere, so you should be able to camp in places that would be inconvenient later in summer. The skeeters are legendary up there, but they usually don't get that bad until mid July and early August.

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

I've had mosquitoes follow me halfway up Pingora so I don't think you can camp high enough to escape them. I think we camped above 10k one year, on a ridge above the Cirque, close to Warrior II (?? It's been a while since that one). There were still plenty of mosquitoes but it was windy enough at times to blow them away.

I've been out in the Winds numerous times in July and Aug (different years, different snow packs) and the mosquitoes were always bad. As in, BAD. You might be OK, going in June, but then again maybe they'll surprise you. Hope for the best but take plenty of DEET and a head net just in case.
Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YWardHorner or check out my blog http://blog.yvettewardhorner.com

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Head net and deet are a must July and August. There is zero snow at Big Sandy trailhead currently, at least as of last week. This last system may have dumped a few inches. The bugs will prob be in full force by the end of June. However, we have had some serious cold snaps after some warmup periods, so I'm hoping the mosquito hatchlings took a good killing. Hope in one hand, crap in another. :)

everclimb

by everclimb » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:40 pm

If there is no snow at the trail head, is it likely that the climbing routes will be dry enough to climb? What kind of snow-travel gear is needed to get from the trail head to the base of climbs?

b.

by b. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:12 pm

everclimb wrote:What kind of snow-travel gear is needed to get from the trail head to the base of climbs?

Gaiters and motivation should get you there just fine.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:23 am

Gaiters should be fine, but micro spikes wouldn't be a bad idea for some of the approaches.....especially on the north/NE facing climbs. There's a great couloir on the NE face of Lizards head that would be in nice shape at the end of June in most years. Watching the recent weather trends is the best thing you can do. I doubt there will be much in the way of snow on the approach except for maybe Jackass Pass.

BLong

by BLong » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 pm

I doubt there will be much in the way of snow on the approach except for maybe Jackass Pass.

Thanks WS! I am more concerned about wet routes (water running down routes & snow/ice in cracks) than the approaches. Aside from any June storms, would I be correct in assuming that everything south facing should be in good climbing shape during that time frame? Any favorite/recommended routes in the 5.5-5.9 range that have south facing approaches and climbs?

Thanks for all the beta.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:51 am

Lots of south and west facing routes in the Cirque. One of the 50 classics is a 5.8 on Pingora and is south facing. Should be dry that time of year. May be a few snowy spots on some of the approaches in the cirque, but the scrambling to get to the base should be pretty clear on pingora due to more sunlight. The base going up to Wolfs head tend to be more problematic due to it's location further back in the cirque, so it tend to be in the shade for longer and the grassy ledges and such tend to stay wet/snowy a bit longer.

Return to Colorado