Remote West Virginia recs?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jayd215

Remote West Virginia recs?

by jayd215 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm hoping to go backpacking for the 4th of July weekend. I'm thinking about going to the Monongahela NF. I have never been. I just moved here.

Hoping for a little insider wisdom. Where is the best backcountry? In what parts of the Mon am I the least likely to encounter anyone else? Out of these parts, which ones are the most enjoyable and why?

I'm aiming for 2-3 days of about 7-8 miles each, since I'm backpacking with my dog. She loves hiking but doesn't seem to like days that are 10 miles or more. Hoping to find some summits that are safe (and legal) places to take a dog.

WyomingSummits

Re: Remote West Virginia recs?

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:28 am

Dolly Sods wilderness area in the Monongahela will get you on the highest plateau of that type east of the Mississippi. Blackbird Knob is almost 4k in elevation. if you're going by Seneca Rocks, stop in the climbing shop in the little town of Seneca and those guys would prob be able to give you some more beta. July 4th might be busy as it's only 4.6 RT and not much elevation gain.

Bark Eater

Re: Remote West Virginia recs?

by Bark Eater » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Dolly Sods +1. Been a long time since I've been there but it is remote and beautiful...unique area for the Eastern US.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)