New here, want to take climbing mountains up several levels

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Nordwand

New here, want to take climbing mountains up several levels

by Nordwand » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:48 am

Hello climbers, I've spent most of my life pointing at peaks and casually heading out and bagging them, probably well over a hundred. Although I've never summited a mountain that required more than bouldering and light climbing.

I have now reached a point where i have a fever to get into real rock/ice climbing, ropes, ice axes, crampons etc.
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, and starting to get into shape. In a few weeks I will be in Alaska and do some observing and classes and also climb some minor stuff while working up there.

But my purpose here is to read as much as possible to learn and ask some likely dumb questions (if you will indulge my ignorance).

Thanks for having me. I look forward to the sites expertise.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

Re: New here, want to take climbing mountains up several lev

by dadndave » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:50 am

Welcome.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

no avatar
Nordwand

by Nordwand » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:14 am

I should add I am particularly fascinated with ice waterfall climbing.

Been reading everything I can find about it....

no avatar
Nordwand

by Nordwand » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 am

Haha 109 views and one hello.

I don't mean to intimidate with my formidable light bouldering skills.....lulz

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:03 am

Welcome to SP!

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:54 am

Howdy.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

jvonrueden

by jvonrueden » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 am

It sounds like you already know how to take care of yourself outside and camp, what you lack is technical skills.
There's three different ways you can acquire them.

1- Learn from a mentor/competent peer. This is my personal favorite. It allows for one on one instruction. You can ask questions about whatever you want. It doesn't have to be formal- just someone willing to have you along and show you a trick or two.

2- Take a course. There's multiple guiding companies out there who's goal isn't to take you up a mountain, but rather to teach you the skills to go up yourself. Two I've taken courses from are NOLS and AAI. I'd highly recommend either. There's a few dozen others in the US as well- you can take a course on anything from glacier mountaineering to alpine rock climbing.

3- Self study. No matter what you decide to do, your progression as a climber will involve some of this. Using solely this would be foolish. Book knowledge is no substitute for experience making decisions out in the field. Go buy yourself a copy of The Freedom of the Hills. Its a great resource. Read it cover to cover. Twice. Three times. Absorb it and apply it. Nols' Wilderness Guide is another book I'd recommend. It covers general wilderness living/travel more than just strictly climbing.

If you've got the money, taking a week long skills course is a great way to expand your toolbox. I'd recommend joining your local climbing gym or alpine club to meet other people who enjoy climbing and mountaineering. Check out the plans and partners section of summitpost.

Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions, just ask. You'll find the folks here to be friendly and knowledgeable.

The following user would like to thank jvonrueden for this post
Nordwand

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 am

Welcome!!

no avatar
Nordwand

by Nordwand » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 am

jvonrueden wrote:It sounds like you already know how to take care of yourself outside and camp, what you lack is technical skills.
There's three different ways you can acquire them.

1- Learn from a mentor/competent peer. This is my personal favorite. It allows for one on one instruction. You can ask questions about whatever you want. It doesn't have to be formal- just someone willing to have you along and show you a trick or two.

2- Take a course. There's multiple guiding companies out there who's goal isn't to take you up a mountain, but rather to teach you the skills to go up yourself. Two I've taken courses from are NOLS and AAI. I'd highly recommend either. There's a few dozen others in the US as well- you can take a course on anything from glacier mountaineering to alpine rock climbing.

3- Self study. No matter what you decide to do, your progression as a climber will involve some of this. Using solely this would be foolish. Book knowledge is no substitute for experience making decisions out in the field. Go buy yourself a copy of The Freedom of the Hills. Its a great resource. Read it cover to cover. Twice. Three times. Absorb it and apply it. Nols' Wilderness Guide is another book I'd recommend. It covers general wilderness living/travel more than just strictly climbing.

If you've got the money, taking a week long skills course is a great way to expand your toolbox. I'd recommend joining your local climbing gym or alpine club to meet other people who enjoy climbing and mountaineering. Check out the plans and partners section of summitpost.

Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions, just ask. You'll find the folks here to be friendly and knowledgeable.

Whoah,.. That's a lot of great info there! Well self study is first....then some corses for certain

I weigh 255 right now, but am not overweight (I'm 6'4") -I'm going to get down to 225 which is a my skinny weight. My size presents likely certain climbing disadvantages but on the other hand I have a 78" wingspan so that could help.

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 am

Hmmmm...... Dunno if 225 lbs is skinny weight even at 6-4, which is also my height. Even if it's all muscle that's still quite a bit of weight to carry around.

Good to see other big guys here.

KeithN

by KeithN » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Take it slow, but get out and go cragging. I'm afraid you won't find too much help here, or elsewhere on the internet - but especially not here.

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Welcome :) I'm good at answering dumb ice-climbing questions. But I think you'd be better off learning to use ropes etc on rock. It's more forgiving than ice.
Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YWardHorner or check out my blog http://blog.yvettewardhorner.com

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 pm

LesterLong wrote:Hmmmm...... Dunno if 225 lbs is skinny weight even at 6-4, which is also my height. Even if it's all muscle that's still quite a bit of weight to carry around.

Good to see other big guys here.

I guess skinny is relative. I'm 6' 7" and 210lbs and would not want to be any heavier, for actual climbing. Larger foot sizes are a factor in steep ice climbing, but hardly a showstopper - just adapt. Without any specific training I can do a few sets of 8-10 wide grip chin-ups, but really this is beside the point for most climbing, up to a point. It's technique, footwork and balance, especially as you get older and your fingers peel under bodyweight ;-)

And for ice climbing, keeping a cool head above your pro, which mainly comes with mileage and experience, based on solid fundamentals. Desire and effort, tempered by humility and patience, will overcome most things.

For general mountaineering and snow plods it doesn't matter as much, so long as you're aerobically fit and those muscles have endurance. It all requires a lot more oxygen and fuel at altitude though. You don't see many really big guys in the Himalaya.

Main problem is getting pants and tents long enough.

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 am

[quote="Steve1215"]if you thrust your pick into a frozen waterfall and a pressurized jet of liquid water comes jetting out the hole....slowly back off

hey, that happened to me last season when I was trying to put a screw in. It came pouring out of the screw, actually. I was very upset.
Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YWardHorner or check out my blog http://blog.yvettewardhorner.com

Return to General