Almagre Mountain - via trail from 701 to Smokey City Mine?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
epotereiko

Almagre Mountain - via trail from 701 to Smokey City Mine?

by epotereiko » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Is there a trail just N of N Cheyenne Creek that parallels the creek and intersects Trail 701?
I have a Pikes Peak Atlas Orman Map from 1976 that indicates a trail paralleling N Cheyenne Creek going east/west, going to Smokey City Mine and then continues to 379A, a road that appears to be above Stratton Resevoir and which goes to Almagre Summit.
I would like to come up 622 from Gold Camp Rd/High Dr parking lot, then to 668 to 701, head N on 701, go just past the creek, then on trail to Smokey City, passing it and climbing up to the trail on top of Almagre.
In the alternative, it appears that this unmarked trail heads NW just W of Nelson Camp, splitting off from 668 in a NW direction, more or less paraleling N Cheyenne Creek, crossing 701 and going to Smokey City Mine, etc.

If this trail still exists and is hikeable then it seems to be a lot shorter route and more doable than 622-668-701-379-379A to the summit.
From my map, if the trail still exists, it appears to be very steep.
Have tried to find it twice.

Would like to make the RT during the same day.

Please advise. Thank you.

Return to Colorado