Sierra Designs Convert 3 vs. MH EV3

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
sbr

Sierra Designs Convert 3 vs. MH EV3

by sbr » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:41 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement for a high altitude moutaineering tent. It's gotta fit two tall (6'5") people plus some gear and gotta be bombbroof.
Currently considering Sierra Design Convert 3 and the EV3. The Sierra Design tent is much cheaper.
Any takes how it compares against the EV3?

One thing I'm concerned about with both tents is cooking in the integrated vestibule. Any experiences with that?

Also looked at the Hilleberg Jannu which seems to be quite short with low slope for 6'5" guys and the MSR Fury

Thanks.

adventurer

Re: Sierra Designs Convert 3 vs. MH EV3

by adventurer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Have you looked at the EV2? It's about 130 Euros cheaper than the EV3. I'm 6'2" as is a friend of mine and we are quite comfortable with packs and gear in the EV2.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:42 am

I used a Jannu last year at C2 on Peak Lenin. It is long, but the entrance is low and the top of the door is shorter than the floor below it, so rain or snow can drop into the floor. I'm 6'7" and found the low door a pain in the ass getting in and out and cooking in the vestibule. Otherwise, a very good tent.

I have a Bibler Tempest which is long enough, bombproof and maybe cheaper than the EV tents. I get condensation in all single skin tents though, so rarely use them anymore. The Tempest may be too heavy to carry high though, certainly to climb hard with. Depends on the route. The EV tents had a reputation for bad condensation build-up, but I never used one so I don't know how valid that is - as I said, I've had significant condensation buildup in all single skin tents I've used, no matter how well ventilated.

no avatar
sbr

by sbr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Damien,

thanks for the response. So you fit in the Jannu at 6'7" without compressing your sleeping bag while being stretched out.
The MSR Fury seems to share the problem of the low entrance for tall people.
Any other suggestions for a bomber, light double wall tent?
Which tent are you using high up?

Damien Gildea wrote:I used a Jannu last year at C2 on Peak Lenin. It is long, but the entrance is low and the top of the door is shorter than the floor below it, so rain or snow can drop into the floor. I'm 6'7" and found the low door a pain in the ass getting in and out and cooking in the vestibule. Otherwise, a very good tent.

I have a Bibler Tempest which is long enough, bombproof and maybe cheaper than the EV tents. I get condensation in all single skin tents though, so rarely use them anymore. The Tempest may be too heavy to carry high though, certainly to climb hard with. Depends on the route. The EV tents had a reputation for bad condensation build-up, but I never used one so I don't know how valid that is - as I said, I've had significant condensation buildup in all single skin tents I've used, no matter how well ventilated.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:33 am

Yes, the Jannu was just long enough to stretch out properly in a big sleeping bag. That doorway was a real pain though.

I think "bomber, light, double-wall tent" is probably an impossibility right now! :-) Or so it seems.

Just last week I was with a friend in a BD Firstlight, at 4800m for a few days. He is around 6'2" and we actually fitted OK - just. Though we only had light bags, we had the added vestibule,and my head was stretching the door. I guess such compromises are necessary to have a truly light, packable tent up high (without Sherpa support ;-) )

Otherwise, have a heavier tent down lower, fuel up, and go to the top without stopping to camp.

no avatar
sbr

by sbr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:34 pm

does anybody have experience with the MSR Fury.
Currently considering this.

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:55 pm

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Tent-Reviews

Maybe this could be somewhat helpful
Mountains and Music

Return to Gear