Mont Blanc from the Italian side

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
samtugwell

Mont Blanc from the Italian side

by samtugwell » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:21 am

Hi,

I'm planning Mont Blanc in August from the Italian side, and have read through the routes on signorellil's page.

Does anyone know of a topo / guidebook which gives more detail on the routes on the Italian side of the massif, as well as any suitable acclimatisation peaks?
Thanks, Sam

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Mont Blanc from the Italian side

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 am

Suitable acclimatisation peaks: Petit Mont Blanc (easy) or Aig. du Trelatete (don't underestimate, quite steep and icy sometimes), both via the Bivacco Rainetto.
Gives you an impressive view onto the MB italian normal route. Plus lots of capricorns :wink:

See also the older threads listed below...

The following user would like to thank Flachlandtiroler for this post
samtugwell

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Last summer Mark and I climbed the Italian normal route. Mark had an English guidebook. I'm not completely sure, but I think it was this one:

Mont Blanc 4810 m
5 Routes to the Summit
ISBN 2918824038 / 978-2918824039

If the Italian normal route is one that you are thinking about, you can read about our acclimatization and the climb in Mark's trip report: Alps International Expedition 2013.

Mark's photo of me, high on the Italian normal route.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
samtugwell

no avatar
samtugwell

by samtugwell » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks both for the responses!

I am thinking of the Tournette Spur, currently struggling to identify the shoulder between the hut and the spur on the map.

Rob - if you have any photos here you may think relevant (as you passed this on your way up) I'd be really grateful, just PM me.

Thanks again, sam

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 pm

From what I read about it, the Tournette Spur route is much more direct than the Italian normal route, and we didn't even get close to it until we were almost on top of Mont Blanc. Because I had not eaten enough, I was too tired by then to take many pictures.

The best picture I have, for what it's worth, is this view from Mont Blanc de Courmayeur, right below the summit on the steep western slopes:
Dominating this view are the Aiguilles de Tré la Tête, some 5-6 km away to the SW, and on the right are the Dômes de Miage. The Tournette Spur must be somewhere on the right as well, but much closer, and I think it's invisible because of the curvature of the mountain face that Mark and I are on. It gets steeper further down. In addition, the spur might be slightly further to the right as well.

There is a Tournette Spur route page on SP - I take it you had a look at that?

no avatar
samtugwell

by samtugwell » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:45 am

Yep, that page is cracking! Bedankt voor het Foto :)

Return to Europe