Looking for Mongolian Beta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Haliku

Looking for Mongolian Beta

by Haliku » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:19 am

I'm brainstorming another adventure idea now that Denali is checked. After the traffic in Alaska I'm looking for something off the tourist circuit.

Summitpost is lacking when it comes to Mongolia; the country highpoint--Mt Khuiten--isn't represented nor any of the peaks in the Mongolian section of the Altai range. Can anyone point me to some beta for research? I know Alpine Ascents runs a trip to Khuiten but that's not what I'm needing--range and route maps, incountry logistic contacts, links, FA info etc. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Sam Roberts

by Sam Roberts » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:29 pm

There are several outfitters in Mongolia who can help you. Just do a Google search, send off an email outlining what you want to do, and they'll get back to you with a price. This is what I did 2 years ago and it worked just fine. I used Nomadic Journeys, and Jan was great to work with. I wanted to go to a very remote area and even Jan wasn't sure if there were roads there. So he set us up with a good driver, cook and interpreter, and we had a great time. Anyway, just do some research online, set up the trip you want to do, and find an outfitter in UB who is willing and able to make it happen. Good luck, Mongolia is a wonderful place to visit!

BobK

by BobK » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:11 am

These guys know Mongolia.

http://www.bikeasia.com/

Good place to start for beta. Address inquiries to Scott.

deep6

by deep6 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:56 am

yo Haliku who did u end up going w/ to help you w/ your climb up Mt. Khuiten, Mongolia?

i'm also interested in finding a local mongolian climbing guide that's knowledgable/safe for Mt. Khuiten and possibly Mt. Malchin for a acclimation peak.

are there guides/companies in Ulaan Bataar that can arrange this or in Bayan Olgii?

i know alpine ascents does this trip and i'm sure they use a local co. but, damn for over 5Gs! i aint richy rich but, i'd be going solo so how much should i expect to shell out? and what is the recommended no. of days for this climb + what does the price include?

also what are other must see/do's while in mongolia?

any info./mongolian beta or help would be much appreciated...mucho gracias.

HeyItsBen

Re: Looking for Mongolian Beta

by HeyItsBen » Mon May 19, 2014 11:23 pm

I leave for Mongolia the 1st week of July and am headed for the Altai range. We'll be hiring someone for logistical support (transport, permits, food, etc) but we will be climbing unguided. As mentioned above, information online is scarce. Can anyone point me to any info? Maps, recent beta, glacier conditions, reviews of local outfitters in Olgii, anything would be helpful. We're looking at Mt. Khuiten, Nairandal, Malchin, and possibly Snow Church. I've found an old Russian (I think) map but its not very detailed, and I've found some old trip reports through the AAC, but nothing recent. I've had a few emails with some of the local outfitters in Olgii, but some of the reveiws online aren't the best. We're also looking at a side trip to Khovsgol Nuur to do some kayaking and to hike some of the mountains on its SW side. Has anyone been there?

HeyItsBen

Re: Looking for Mongolian Beta

by HeyItsBen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:40 pm

I put up a page for Mongolia's high point, Mt.Khuiten.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-kh-iten/933720

Info was hard to come by before the trip, but it ended up being a pretty straightforward climb and an amazing trip. Definitely off the beaten path!

Return to Asia