It's... snowing?!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ElGreco

It's... snowing?!

by ElGreco » Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 am

Late May Sierra snowfall? Where was is the rest of the year??

I am probably asking a few hours prematurely, but if anyone knows how much came down in the upper elevations, let us know. Mammoth is reporting 2" at 8.9k ft at this point.

I am assuming this won't stick for long, but curious if any of the more complex terrain high up (couloirs) would be in danger of avalanching by Sat.

Deb

Re: It's... snowing?!

by Deb » Wed May 21, 2014 5:28 am

I bagged a 12K' peak towards Lamarck Col this morning while it was snowing balls. By 10AM I was in 6" of fresh snow (no wind :) and it continued into the evening. Snow level was down to abt 7500' at 6AM and melted up to 8K' by 3PM when I left North Lake. A couple more days of this.
And "yes," I would be leary of avy conditions. This was some sticky sticky snow that balled up and rolled like crazy on simple 30 deg slopes.
My objective was the peak furthest left. By the time I got around this tarn, visibility was about 100'.
Last edited by Deb on Wed May 21, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
ElGreco

fedak

by fedak » Wed May 21, 2014 6:05 am

FWIW, here's what the national weather service has to say:

. WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM PDT THIS EVENING ABOVE 7000 FEET...
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY ABOVE 7000 FEET REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM PDT THIS EVENING FOR THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 1 TO 3 INCHES. LOCALLY HIGHER IN LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY HEAVIER SHOWERS.
* ELEVATION: ABOVE 7000 FEET.
* TIMING: SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THIS MORNING BECOMING MORE NUMEROUS BY THIS AFTERNOON. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS WILL BE POSSIBLE ON WEDNESDAY.
* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: TIOGA PASS... TUOLUMNE MEADOWS... WHITE WOLF... DEVILS POSTPILE... WOLVERTON... HUNTINGTON LAKE... PONDEROSA ... QUAKING ASPEN.
* IMPACTS: SNOW MAY MAKE TRAVEL THROUGH THE HIGH COUNTRY DIFFICULT. CARRY CHAINS AND BE PREPARED FOR DELAYS OR ROAD CLOSURES.
* FOR A DETAILED VIEW OF THE HAZARD AREA...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

ElGreco

by ElGreco » Thu May 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Bump for a fresh update on conditions... Thanks!

no avatar
skyehawk

by skyehawk » Thu May 22, 2014 5:46 pm

What's the general snow cover in the echo lakes/desolation wilderness area? Depth, meltout, snow levels, etc? Curious as I have a trip coming up.

greggeisen

by greggeisen » Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Just got off the phone with the rangers at the Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center near lone pine. I have a permit for Keasarge Pass 24May. They are reporting 12 in fresh snow at kearsarge pass and 6in at onion valley campground. snowing has stopped. they expect most of the snow below 10k not to stick through the weekend. Will make for some wet trails.

The following user would like to thank greggeisen for this post
ElGreco

no avatar
skyehawk

by skyehawk » Thu May 29, 2014 6:42 pm

I've asked before, but I know this has been buried under new posts - how much snow is in the vicinity of the mountains near echo lake / southern deso?

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:01 am

skyehawk wrote:I've asked before, but I know this has been buried under new posts - how much snow is in the vicinity of the mountains near echo lake / southern deso?

I put some observations in the Lake ice-out thread.

The following user would like to thank fogey for this post
skyehawk

hgrapid

by hgrapid » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Southern Desolation looked like there was still decent snow as of Sunday June 1 when I was in Lake Tahoe. Seems to be the only snow left of significance in the Lake Tahoe Basin. Give it a couple weeks though and you are probably good

Return to California