Mt. Adams in July (Question)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Trawinski

Mt. Adams in July (Question)

by Trawinski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm planning on doing Mt. Adams south spur the second week of July as part of trip to Portland and Hood River with my girlfriend. The general plan is to take our sweet time about it - spending 2 nights on the mountain. Our camp 1 would be a mile or two up from the TH, maybe around the junction with Round the Mountain trail, and then a camp 2 above the lunch counter (~9,600 ft) before a summit bid and descent back to the car. My question is this, what is the likelihood of finding water below treeline in July (at our camp 1)? I can and will melt snow when available, but if we're below the snow that first night, I'm wondering if we'll have problems.

Thanks,
Mark

no avatar
splattski

Re: Mt. Adams in July (Question)

by splattski » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Mark,

Depending on the year, you should be able to find some snow at or near your proposed Camp 1. This is July 17.

You may not find much room for your proposed Camp 2. I don't recall seeing much flat terrain above Lunch Counter until you get to Pikers, although I suppose you could always chop a platform in the snow. Note that I have seen people camped at the summit.

The following user would like to thank splattski for this post
Trawinski

solarjinx

by solarjinx » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:19 am

Just have your girlfriend carry all the water, lol.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks for your help. We ended up camping at around 8k ft on the ridge just west of Crescent Glacier, then going for the summit the next day. Not a lot of running water around, but plenty of snow to melt. It ended up being a 1-nighter, but still a great hike up. Didn't even need crampons because we got a late start and the snow was pretty soft. Glissade runs down were epic! Fun mountain.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)