Sawmill Pass and trail conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Steve-T

Sawmill Pass and trail conditions

by Steve-T » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:28 am

I'm going backpacking from Kearsarge Pass up the JMT/PCT and out Sawmill Pass in a couple of weeks. Interested to know the conditions on Sawmill Pass and trail. We're going to camp at Sawmill Lake on the last night before hiking out, as Ive been told this is the last water on the way down.

Anybody been up/down Sawmill trail recently?

Thanks.
Steve

Scott M.

Re: Sawmill Pass and trail conditions

by Scott M. » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:51 pm

Steve,
I haven't been on that trail this year but Sawmill Lake east of the pass does have some good camp spots and Woods Lake west of the pass has several, as well. There is access to water beyond Sawmill Lake on the way down with the last crossing of the creek down around 7200' before you climb the last hump and descend the dry slopes down to the trailhead.

no avatar
KathyW

Re: Sawmill Pass and trail conditions

by KathyW » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 am

I haven't been on the trail recently, but keep in mind that the last section of the trail after your last creek crossing is in the sun in the morning and in the shade in the evening; so if it is hot out you can make it a little easier by coming out close to the end of the day.

A couple years ago, I came out at 11 pm and it was still almost 90 degrees at the trailhead, but at least the sun wasn't beating down on me.

Return to California