best solar charger for back country

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Grampahawk

best solar charger for back country

by Grampahawk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 pm

I'd like some recommendations for a solar charger for my smartphone, ipod, etc. I've been looking at the Solio products and get mixed signals from various reviews about the length of time it takes to charge, parts breaking, warranty issues, battery weight and power, etc. What say you?

radson

Re: best solar charger for back country

by radson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:05 am

I used https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkey-explorer/ for almost 3 months in the Himalayas last year to keep my iphone charged, truly an awesome product, although I am not sure about availability in the US.

Slightly on a tangent but in Alaska last month I recently used various products from Goal0. Once again, exceptional performance, they have something that may be useful but also possibly overtkill.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/79/Guide-10-Adventure-Kit/1:1/

gert

by gert » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:12 am

I had no problems at all with the Solio! Used it on long trips into the Andes. But I only charged my IPod Touch and occasionally my cellphone.
The Andes are a perfect enviroment to use solar charger. When i tried the Solio at home - it takes a long time.

no avatar
JoshuaPCorwell

by JoshuaPCorwell » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:17 pm

Hey a great solar charger that I recommend to everyone is the Anker 14W solar charger. This bad boy charges your devices in the same amount of time as a standard wall outlet. I found it on this review http://www.portablesolargadgets.com/5-b ... -reviewed/
Go and check it out. They have multiple solar chargers there if you don't like the Anker. Well good luck and I hope that helps you out.

punchline

by punchline » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Goal Zero hands down. My husband used their products in Nepal over a 3 week period as we didn't want to rely on finding power at the various teahouses. Many times he hung the panels off the teahouses or off his pack as we were hiking. The set-up he has may be a little bit more than you may need - he took several thousand photos - but pull up the link from radson's post.
Attachments
DSCF0280copy.jpg
Setting up solar panel at teahouse in Dingboche
DSCF0280copy.jpg (514.74 KiB) Viewed 9158 times

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Another vote for Goal Zero, I am betting they have a product in their line that is exactly what you need.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:32 pm

I've used Solio and it failed due to moisture intrusion.

I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 panel and Switch 8 battery pack and have used them on one 10 day and one 7 day tripm in the Sierra and they worked to perfection. I keep an iPhone (to connect with Spot device), GoPro Hero 3+, and Garmin 305 GPS charged by charging the electronics overnight from the battery pack and charging the battery pack during the day either laying the panel on a rock (or suspending between trekking poles) at camp or by hanging the panels on my pack.

Costco had a Goal Zero road show and the products were discounted around 30% off list. I don't know if there are more dates or locations.

RoboJoel

by RoboJoel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:14 pm

A buddy of mine had the goal zero out for our annual trip last year and it was awesome. Highly recommend it. That's probably what I'll be getting. Its not tiny but it kept 5 guys devices charged the whole time.

I've also heard good things about the PowerMonkey for the durability factor though it sure seems small. http://www.mycoolcampinggadgets.com/unique/powermonkey-extreme-5v-12v-solar-panel-system/

RoboJoel

by RoboJoel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Ah I see radson already mention the powermonkey. Thanks! Did it take long to charge up?

AndrewOliv

by AndrewOliv » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:31 pm

If you still interesting in solar chargers, please check here:

http://www.chargersmarket.co.uk/2-solar-chargers

The following user would like to thank AndrewOliv for this post
LincolnB

LincolnB

by LincolnB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:49 pm

If you expect cloudy skies, you could try this -- charges off your campstove:

http://www.amazon.com/FlameStower-Charger/dp/B00K1RVO66

no avatar
bargainhunter

by bargainhunter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:32 am

I like my Instapark Mercury 4S. It's very light and keeps my iPhone charged all day (easy to hike with panel on my pack) and the built in battery can fully charge a depleted iPhone if you need to recharge when there is no sun. When I bought it a couple of years ago nothing was available as light as it is. I highly recommended it.

Return to Gear