Entry Level - Italy North/Dolomites

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
stigja

Entry Level - Italy North/Dolomites

by stigja » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:55 am

Hi, I'm going to Italy for a few days for a wedding, and I have just enough days so that I can slip out and go see some mountains. I'm new to the region, and I'm hoping to get to know the area a bit more, then come back for more serious trips. I won't be able to bring a lot of gear this time, so straight-forward peaks towards 3000m with no climbing and/or glacier-travel would be do-able. So suggestion for peak with a hike, maybe some easy scrambling that will make me fall in love with the area and inspire to new adventures :D

many thanks

damgaard

Re: Entry Level - Italy North/Dolomites

by damgaard » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:04 pm

If you are going to Dolomites I would bring a helmet and via ferrate laynards (can be rented locally if you don't have it) and climb some of the many awesome via ferrata routes. A bit more advanced than scrambling but a quite safe way to get to 2.500 - 3.000 m summits. Some summits above 3.000 m as well.
Without via ferrata gear most 3.000+ m summits are difficult to climb in the Dolomites.

Easier 3.000 m summits in nothern Italy can be found in the Texel group on the border to Austria. First 1.000 m can be done with cablecar if you go in from the south near Merano.
http://www.summitpost.org/texel-group-g ... ssa/830104

The following user would like to thank damgaard for this post
stigja

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:15 am

There are tons of routes in the Dolomites, varying from short easy hikes to extremely difficult climbs. This summer I spent five weeks in the north of Italy, all in South Tyrol, and some of that time was in the Dolomites. My best memories are from the Peitlerkofel. It's a fine scramble, and the views are breathtaking the whole way up. The normal route up there is mostly a strenous hike, but close to the summit there is a short section secured by steel cables. Most people on the route don't use anything special, but some bring a via ferrata set. Depending on your comfort level, you have to decide if you want one as well. I estimate that it's mostly around UIAA grade I, with the occasional bit of grade II.

For the record, the Texel Group, while one of my favorites, isn't part of the Dolomites. It does indeed have a wide choice of 3000-ers, and some of them can even be ascended in one long day, either by starting in the valley and using the lifts, or by driving as high as possible (e.g. to Pfelders).

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
stigja

no avatar
stigja

by stigja » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:40 am

Thank you guys, I'm just back from my trip, and we went for Peitlerkofel. It was just what we were looking for! Got a map of the area in Schlutter Hutte, and I'm definitely coming back to this area for a more dedicated mountaineering trip.

Return to Europe