Wheeler Peak Winter Ascent - Climbing Partner Needed

Find climbing partners in the Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX).
no avatar
nitehawk13569

Wheeler Peak Winter Ascent - Climbing Partner Needed

by nitehawk13569 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:32 pm

I am planning a winter ascent to Wheeler's Peak January 3 to January 5 of 2015, and I am looking for a climbing partner since my current partner just cancelled. My planned route will be the Bull of the Woods trail beginning in Toas Ski Valley at about 10am on the 3rd. Planning to camp about 6 miles into the trail at the La Cal Basin. Summit will be early on the second day, returning to camp for early lunch, rest if needed, and breakdown for the descent. The extra day is planned in case the weather is not on our side. Please let me know if you are interested in joining.

no avatar
Randombackpacker

Re: Wheeler Peak Winter Ascent - Climbing Partner Needed

by Randombackpacker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:36 am

How did the climb go?

no avatar
nitehawk13569

Re: Wheeler Peak Winter Ascent - Climbing Partner Needed

by nitehawk13569 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:38 am

It was a success. I cannot say that it was my doing though. The snow was soft and very deep. My partner forced me to keep going when I would have turned back 3 miles in because of post-holing hell. But we managed to make the basin just before sundown, thanks to her optimism, at about 12K feet. The summit attempt began at 5am and was met with strong, freezing wind. Mount Walter was a tease, but we made the summit by 830am. We descended, broke camp and made the 8 mile/4000+ feet descent by 2pm. Glorious!

Return to US - Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)