Partners needed for a potential full year of travelling

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
Matt Lemke

Partners needed for a potential full year of travelling

by Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:15 am

OK so here's what's going down. Due to the extremely low gas prices, it looks like I may be done working for quite some time. I am planning to take full advantage of this since I have some money saved up, and am looking for people who want to join me for parts of this year for multiple big trips. I'll describe briefly what I am hoping to accomplish this year and if anyone is at all interested in any of it please let me know :)

Note that I am not a hardman climber! I can lead 5.9 rock at best and am VERY conservative regarding avalanches, icefalls and other objective hazards. I am mainly interested in moderate alpine climbs anywhere from easy hiking/scrambling to AI/WI 3 or 5.9. I am going to be spending lots of time in the next few weeks researching what sounds cool so the lists below are by no means set in stone. Underlined interests are ones I am very inclined to make happen and are the top of my list!

Late February/March/early April - Chile and Argentina. Mountaineering interests include: Tronador, Osorno, Cerro San Francisco, Nevado el Plomo, Volcan San Jose, Nevado Juncal, Volcan Yates, Volcan Lanin and many more. Climbing interests include: A route on Cerro Trinidad in Cochamo...perhaps this one --> http://www.summitpost.org/fa-send-it-li ... ile/785833

May/June - Alaska Mountaineering. Mountaineering interests include: Mount Foraker, Mount Brooks, Mount Silverthorne, Mount Russell, and any one of the hundreds of scramble peaks in the western Chugatch range or along the Kenai peninsula. Climbing interests include: Arrigetch Peaks in the Brooks Range... Moderate multi-pitch routes (Late June-Early July).

July - British Columbia and or Alberta. Primary interests include: Mount Waddington, Gimli Peak South Ridge, Bugaboo Spire, Mount Sir Donald, Mount Robson, Mount Assinoboine, Mount Temple, Mount Athabasca, MANY more.

August/September - WA Cascades, ID Sawtooths/Lost River Range, Montana Beartooths, Wind River Range. Primary interests include: Mox Peaks/Chilliwack Bulgers (early August), Mount Goode, basically any WA Bulger, Bears Tooth, Mount Wood, Borah Peak, Gannett Peak, Cirque of the Towers Traverse...MANY more.

October - Sierra Nevadas. Don't know much yet

December/January 2016 - Chile. Plans for this trip are already set

Again, this is just a brainstorm of ideas. I am down for almost anything within my skill and risk level except Denali, or any of the crazy mountains in the St. Elias area. Also, the primary locations for each time period are also open to change.

beean

Re: Partners needed for a potential full year of travelling

by beean » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:35 am

July - British Columbia and or Alberta. Primary interests include: Mount Waddington, Gimli Peak South Ridge, Bugaboo Spire, Mount Sir Donald, Mount Robson, Mount Assinoboine, Mount Temple, Mount Athabasca, MANY more.

I'm Canmore based and would like to visit the Valhallas. Could be up for Temple too via a route on the north face (Elzinga?) if we are compatible partners. Comfortable on 5.9 alpine and WI3. My routefinding abilities need work.

You should check out the nf of Mt Stanley in BC, it's a great alpine climb!

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:22 am

Cool! Yeah lets keep in touch then. Do you work during the week or is your schedule flexible?

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:26 pm

You know where to find me the 1st week of August. ;)

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:03 am

our trip is the 5-9th though right?

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:56 am

Yup.

beean

by beean » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:Cool! Yeah lets keep in touch then. Do you work during the week or is your schedule flexible?

Flexible as right now, and conceivably throughout summer. I'm trying to keep being a bum!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:05 pm

Matt, if you have that much time off, why not the Himalaya? The Himalaya are extremely spectacular and not all peaks are like Everest.

There are plenty of big peaks similar to the Cordillera Blanca, but even more impressive. There are plenty that don't require that much red tape and that are in your skill level. If you have time on your hands, I'd highly recommend the Himalaya. It's relatively inexpensive there as well. You can also spend weeks or months away from the roads and still be able to find food in the villages and teahouses.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:30 am

As awesome as the himalayas are, I am more than satisfied with what the Americas have to offer. I'll go to the himalaya some day. I may consider it but most likely that is 3-5 years down the road

tdoughty

by tdoughty » Mon May 11, 2015 4:09 am

Matt,
I plan on traveling for adventure in Alberta/British Columbia the whole month of July. I arrive in Vancouver last week of June and have no set agenda/very flexible schedule. Would love to join you for a peak or two. Have you thought some more about specific objectives and timing?
Ted

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Mon May 11, 2015 5:07 pm

I actually have my summer plans set from June 1st through early August. Will you still be up there in August?

no avatar
drManhattan

by drManhattan » Fri May 15, 2015 10:42 am

God dammit I want to do this.

swissguy7

by swissguy7 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:22 pm

Hey Matt how are you going?

I ve just found this forum and the topics seem to be very interesting !

I am a Swiss guy (24yo) who will spend 4 weeks in Alberta/BC from June 20 till july 18.

My main activities will be hiking and hopefully Rock Climbing, Mountaineering etc... Depends if I can find a partner!

So, where will you be in July?

Are there any possibilities climbing together?

wish you a great day!

Cheers!

Fabrice

moera

by moera » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi Guys!

I'm from Italy and
I'm going to travel trough Canada next spring / summer,
starting from Montreal, around 5th April to the end of August, (flight back from Vancouver).
So probably i will stay around Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto in april/beginning of may and than moove west.
On my journey I would like to climb as much as i can in many different places, bugaboos, squamish and what ever!
I do rock climbing, sport & trad, ice & mixed and alpine climbs as well.
I was on a good shape this summer (leading 6b/c - 5.11a-b?- on sport and 6a - 5.10 a/b? trad) as long as I had an accident (climbing in val di mello - italy) where I broke my shoulder... still recovering now but I hope I will be good for next summer!

so, maybe we can meet somewhere around!

keep in touch!

Mara

no avatar
zeroism

by zeroism » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:03 am

I'm considering a similar trip mostly for mountaineering in Canada, but also into the US. I'm from Australia and currently researching my best options and applying for a working visa.
I'd love to hear more about your plans and potentially meet up to climb.

Next

Return to Canada and Alaska