Anyone ever use Cilao or Blue Ice harnesses?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Andrew Rankine

Anyone ever use Cilao or Blue Ice harnesses?

by Andrew Rankine » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:01 pm

I was looking for a new lightweight harness to stash in my pack and use on glacier travel and on the occasional via ferrata. The harness is Cilao Oz 22 Race, and it weighs only 100 grams. http://www.cilao.com/en/baudriers-ultra-legers/11-oz-22-race.html

I came across Cilao and cannot get much info in English. The velcro closure seems a bit odd but people say that it works. Anyone ever use this harness?

The Blue Ice Choucas seems like a good harness as well, but dyneema is a slick material and I worry about the buckle slipping. Does anyone have experience with this harness? http://www.blueice.com/products/en/home/28-choucas.html

Nikolas_A

Re: Anyone ever use Cilao or Blue Ice harnesses?

by Nikolas_A » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:50 pm

I don't consider race harnesses to have any practical value outside skimo racing. I've tried the Camp 95 and it's sole purpose is to be able to pass the gear check at the start of a race.

For a few grams more I got a Roca harness (135gr) which is something you can actually climb easy stuff in. Can't find a link though... It is like this but without the leg loop buckles.

The following user would like to thank Nikolas_A for this post
Andrew Rankine

beean

by beean » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Those race harnesses are light, yes, but really really uncomfortable when weighted. You might as well make a swami out of dyneema slings.

The Blue Ice one looks pretty good, it appears to be a skinnier version of the BD Couloir (which is a great, almost fully featured harness). I wouldn't be too worried about the buckle slipping, if it was unsafe they wouldn't be able to sell it.

The following user would like to thank beean for this post
Andrew Rankine

pvnisher

by pvnisher » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:05 am

The CAMP Blitz is the best IMO. Packs as small as the BD Couloir, weighs the same or possibly a bit less, but has a tiny bit of padding. And most importantly, has real gear loops with stiffened material instead of the Couloir's piece of cloth that is impossible to actually clip anything onto while wearing mittens.
The Blitz is the best thing out there since it's not a one-trick pony. It's 7.7 oz for crying out loud. What more do you want?!

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/harnesses/blitz/

The following user would like to thank pvnisher for this post
Andrew Rankine

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Thanks everyone! I already ordered the Cilao though, I will post how it is when it arrives. If it doesn't work, the Roca looks nice (although there is little info online), and the Camp Blitz looks pretty good option too.

Return to Gear