Baby Stroller?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
absinthe52

Baby Stroller?

by absinthe52 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Hey there,
My wife and I are looking to buy an off-road stroller for our baby girl to take her cragging/traveling throughout Europe…Mountaineering??? Anyways…anyone have any insight to the best bang for the buck…weight, durability etc.? Thanks

Tonka

Re: Baby Stroller?

by Tonka » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:17 pm

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
Josh Lewis, radson

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Phil & Ted's

-Father of 6
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:17 pm

For off-road, the stiffness of the frame is the number 1 concern. Strollers are notoriously flexible, which makes them progressively more difficult to roll over uneven terrain the more flexible they get. Ride smoothness should come from tires and dampening in the frame, not flex- so don't let anyone sell you on that BS. You want the stiffest frame you can get your hands on, with inflated tires.

Push some around in a store, and see what I mean about the flexibility.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Ben Beckerich wrote:For off-road, the stiffness of the frame is the number 1 concern. Strollers are notoriously flexible, which makes them progressively more difficult to roll over uneven terrain the more flexible they get. Ride smoothness should come from tires and dampening in the frame, not flex- so don't let anyone sell you on that BS. You want the stiffest frame you can get your hands on, with inflated tires.

Push some around in a store, and see what I mean about the flexibility.

I agree. I have 3 kids and loads of nieces and nephews. I've taken numerous strollers on rough terrain and a stiff frame is best. Trying to turn something on rough terrain and the whole frame is bending is a nightmare.

nartreb

by nartreb » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:30 pm

"Off-road stroller" is an oxymoron. I've tried some expensive strollers with all the "off-road" options, and they're horrible on anything rougher than a well-tended lawn. At a walking pace on my local dirt trail, the poor kid was bouncing like a Mexican bean. Get a good solid all-around stroller (not a flimsy folding "umbrella" thing with thimble-sized wheels), and make sure it's small and light enough that you can lift it like a litter for short obstacles like staircases. For actual trails, you need a backpack or sling.

no avatar
Stefan

by Stefan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:43 am

Happy with the Speedi Quinny but seriously buy a backpack! Pushed the stroller 16km with a total ascent of 650 meters and almost constant mud, my arms were drained. Now I have a good backpack for the kid and it is way more relaxing and enjoyable! When going into the forest we still use and love the Quinny but the moment we are in the mountains the kid is having a ride on our backs!

Fletch

by Fletch » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:47 am

My wife and I spent eight weeks in Europe with an Osprey Poco Plus backpack... Don't bring a stroller if you want to be the least bit mobile... backpack worked great...

If you need a stroller, bring a cheapie umbrella stroller that you can afford to lose/break...

The following user would like to thank Fletch for this post
Josh Lewis

no avatar
melindastone13

by melindastone13 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:29 pm

How to choose a stroller? Every parents want a stroller that can conquer your favorite places or parks while providing comfort for you and your family. For more info about baby stoller please visit http://motherhow.com/baby-stroller/

KMatos

by KMatos » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:58 pm

I think if you google around a bit you'll find many "Best Travel Strollers" reviews, it's hard to know which one you refer to. I found this for example which might be helpful: http://www.babyconsumers.com/best-travel-system-strollers/ I'd personally go for the Baby Trend Expedition LX if I needed a new one.

cbeats

by cbeats » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Baby Gear Lab http://www.babygearlab.com/ is sort of a sister site to Outdoor Gear Lab and has fairly comprehensive reviews that I (usually) find helpful.

You could look at the jogging stroller reviews there, but as many others have mentioned if you're looking to take a kiddo on an actual trail you'll be much better off looking at the baby backpack reviews.

fernandoe@yahoo.com

by fernandoe@yahoo.com » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Bob Iron Man Stroller. Fairly light weight.
Attachments
DSC01905.jpg
DSC01905.jpg (748.7 KiB) Viewed 7000 times

Return to Gear