Looking for Utah Rock Climbers? This Spring?

Find climbing partners in Utah.
pcrcool

Looking for Utah Rock Climbers? This Spring?

by pcrcool » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:51 pm

Hello;

I am based in the Bay Area, male, in my 20's I have been planning a trip to Utah this spring for about a week, to stop at Zion National Park and Canyon Lands, to explore various slot canyons, and do some climbing, including visiting the different arches. I will be doing it for about a week, will be driving there. If you are located in Utah or already going to be there, would love to just meet up with someone for the day at one of the area's to do some climbing.

This isnt all just rock climbing, a lot is exploring and backpacking through the areas stopping at certain mountains and slot canyons. Just wishing to have a good time and explore the region. My friend and I are going, just the two of us. W will be bringing out own equipment, but are looking for someone else that is adventurous and interested?

Matt Lemke

Re: Looking for Utah Rock Climbers? This Spring?

by Matt Lemke » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 am

What week? I have explored Utah extensively and work in Utah. I may be able to at least give you some recommendations.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:22 am

I am not the best rock climber in the world, but I might be interested in doing some rock climbs and slot canyons.

pcrcool

by pcrcool » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:40 am

Matt Lemke wrote:What week? I have explored Utah extensively and work in Utah. I may be able to at least give you some recommendations.

Probably 4th week of May or 1st week of June. Ive been looking up all the arches and slots, some are pretty far apart, but I want to try to fit them all in, starting with Zion since its closest, then head up to maybe Grand Stair case, then Canyon Lands.

pcrcool

by pcrcool » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:43 am

Scott wrote:I am not the best rock climber in the world, but I might be interested in doing some rock climbs and slot canyons.

Do you go to Utah often? Ive done years of indoor climbing, but just not real outdoor climbing. So will essentially be my first time doing outdoor....

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:13 am

Do you go to Utah often?

Yes, a fair amount:

http://www.summitpost.org/2014-trip-log/884198

I've climbed about 600 mountains there, plus a couple dozen rock towers, and several hundred slot canyons, though only 172 of them are technical. As far as technical rock climbing though, I'm not in the same league as the better desert climbers. I mostly do "easy" rock climbs, especially by desert tower standards.

Probably 4th week of May or 1st week of June. Ive been looking up all the arches and slots, some are pretty far apart, but I want to try to fit them all in, starting with Zion since its closest, then head up to maybe Grand Stair case, then Canyon Lands.

That time of year, it's usually really hot to climb in much of Zion or anywhere in Canyonlands and Arches. Unless you can find a climb in the shade, and in the early morning hours, climbing a rock tower or wall can be really unpleasant then. I prefer October through April at the latest.

There are some climbs at moderate elevations (such as the higher parts of the Swell, such as Chimney Rock) which usually aren't so bad then.

There are some cool things in Arches and Canyonlands, but many of them are hot then and it's best to stick around water. The slot canyons of Zion and Grand Staircase are really good, as are moderate elevation areas such as Bryce Canyon or places like Elk Ridge or the Dark Canyon Plateau.

As much as I like places like Canyonlands, I actually find parts of the Grand Staircase to be more beautiful, if you know where to go. There are plenty of places that are perfect for that time of year as well. Here's Bob's photo of Calf Creek Falls, for example:

I applied for a river trip then, but assuming I don't get a permit (which is probable that I don't get it), maybe I could show you around some of the places down there and we could do some slot canyons and stuff. Maybe a climb or two in the early morning hours as well.

There are a lot of canyons in the Grand Staircase that are nice that time of year.

pcrcool

by pcrcool » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:58 am

Scott wrote:
Do you go to Utah often?

Yes, a fair amount:

http://www.summitpost.org/2014-trip-log/884198

I've climbed about 600 mountains there, plus a couple dozen rock towers, and several hundred slot canyons, though only 172 of them are technical. As far as technical rock climbing though, I'm not in the same league as the better desert climbers. I mostly do "easy" rock climbs, especially by desert tower standards.

That time of year, it's usually really hot to climb in much of Zion or anywhere in Canyonlands and Arches. Unless you can find a climb in the shade, and in the early morning hours, climbing a rock tower or wall can be really unpleasant then. I prefer October through April at the latest.

There are some climbs at moderate elevations (such as the higher parts of the Swell, such as Chimney Rock) which usually aren't so bad then.

There are some cool things in Arches and Canyonlands, but many of them are hot then and it's best to stick around water. The slot canyons of Zion and Grand Staircase are really good, as are moderate elevation areas such as Bryce Canyon or places like Elk Ridge or the Dark Canyon Plateau.

As much as I like places like Canyonlands, I actually find parts of the Grand Staircase to be more beautiful, if you know where to go. There are plenty of places that are perfect for that time of year as well. Here's Bob's photo of Calf Creek Falls, for example:

[im

I applied for a river trip then, but assuming I don't get a permit (which is probable that I don't get it), maybe I could show you around some of the places down there and we could do some slot canyons and stuff. Maybe a climb or two in the early morning hours as well.

There are a lot of canyons in the Grand Staircase that are nice that time of year.

[img]h

[img]

[img] mg]

Ah wow, that's quite a lot, you definitely know the area!
Yeah, I imagine it will be hot, will shoot to start early in the morning for the climbs and use the rest of the day for slot canyons or something. I'd prefer to go earlier such as in March/April, but not able to until late May or early June. Those pictures are amazing though, especially the Golden Cathedral. Quite inspiring.

But that would be great if the dates worked out and could meet up. Will have to message you when it gets closer and I have a more concrete schedule for the trip.
Last edited by pcrcool on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:42 am

Ah...I'll be in Alaska then but good luck and have fun

Return to US - Utah