Haleakala bicyclists

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
surgent

Haleakala bicyclists

by surgent » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 pm

My wife and I will be in Maui in July. Of course, we plan to visit Haleakala.

My question concerns the bicyclists. I know the tour groups will take people up for the sunrise, then let them ride downhill. What we're trying to do is avoid the downhill rush of bikes as we drive up.

Is the highway restricted at certain times for the bicyclists? Is this done every day?

We were looking at driving up in the mid-morning and spending the whole day (and sunset) atop the peak. We just don't want to get caught in the crunch of bike riders and tour busses.

Woodie Hopper

Re: Haleakala bicyclists

by Woodie Hopper » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:24 pm

I've driven that road before so I know what you mean. As far as I know the road isn't closed on a daily basis. I'm not sure if there are events that close the road occasionally.

One of my partners was involved in a hit-and-run on Haleakala while riding uphill earlier this year and left for dead. Fortunately for him there were others around who saw him get hit and helped him before an ambulance arrived.

When I was there my boys were very young, and I didn't have an opportunity to do much hiking. I hope you have a great time.

Woodie

Steve Pratt

by Steve Pratt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:36 pm

The cruiser bike tours go up to watch the sunrise. Then they put on rain gear and coast down. Figure they are leaving the parking lot an hour after sunrise and take about 2 hours down. If you drive up mid-morning you should miss all but the last few stragglers. I don't recall any road restrictions. (Some of the tour companies offer later trips, but my guess is that they will be fairly small groups unless there is a cruise ship in port.)

There is a visitor center at the summit that is good for about an hour. If you plan to spend all afternoon at the top you will probably want to hike a bit of the crater. I would suggest taking high top hiking boots (they don't call it "Sliding Sands Trail" for nothing). And plan for cold and windy conditions any time of day.

Have fun and Aloha!

PS: if you have even more time, there is a cabin in the crater with a small tent camp site. Makes a nice little back pack from either the summit or the entrance station. The crater is beautiful and nearly empty at night. I've done it twice, with each of my kids, and really enjoyed it.

johnm

by johnm » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 am

Agree with Steve's assessment. We have driven up a half hour after sunrise and the bicyclists were all widely spread out. Some make it a race, some enjoy the view and others are on the brakes most they way down. Didn't impede our drive at all other than being cautious.

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands