Current Conditions for Baxter Pass to Mount Mary Austin

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
AltitudeSquirrel

Current Conditions for Baxter Pass to Mount Mary Austin

by AltitudeSquirrel » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:31 am

Granted weather holds I'm looking to "tag and escape" Mount Mary Austin next weekend. Looking for any insight on latest snow conditions since I'm arriving from San Diego. Last time I went through Baxter Pass I post holed all the way to 11k feet and that was in April 13'. Lost too much time and hit weather that turned us around. Moving out on a 2 day run this time so time isn't an issue. Anyone passed through lately and could give some insight?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Current Conditions for Baxter Pass to Mount Mary Austin

by Bob Burd » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:39 am

Conditions are changing, storm coming in starting tonight. Check the weather report and you may be discouraged. Looks like they're expecting about 6" of new stuff.

AltitudeSquirrel

by AltitudeSquirrel » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Bob Burd wrote:Conditions are changing, storm coming in starting tonight. Check the weather report and you may be discouraged. Looks like they're expecting about 6" of new stuff.

Ya I saw that. Hopefully what hits will melt down a tad to not be a powder mess for the 14-15th. The weather looks great for that time, as of now. I'm mainly curious as to the North Couloir. I'm sure it is filled but if not I'm not in the mood for postholing the canyon then scree climb the couloir. Fingers crossed.

AltitudeSquirrel

by AltitudeSquirrel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Unsuccessful summit, Feb 15th, 2015. Snowline started at 8,800 but the trail was easy to follow half way up the pass. A little past 9,000 the trail disappeared into the snow. The snow conditions were crap. That fresh storm dusted the whole place with pure powder and there was hardly any hard pack anywhere. Post holing with snowshoes down to my knees all the way to the north couloir of Mary Austin. At the base of the coul we dropped not summit essential gear and started up around 9:00 am. The couloir conditions were the same. About a 2" crust and 2-3 ft of pure powder underneath. Crampons not needed obviously, we were able to kick in steps but they were loose once you bared weight on the shifting powder. Half way up the couloir I made the call to turn back for a few reasons. 1.) if either of us took a hard fall and gathered speed the ability to self arrest with the powder was not likely. 2.) the upper couloir was sun beaten and the conditions for that were getting wetter. and 3.) on descent we would have to come down in the wettest slop with still unlikely ability to arrest. I have no doubt with careful steps we could have summited and descended safely but the risk wasn't worth it. If you are more daring then I'd say if you don't mind a few solid hours of post holing up to the coul and not worried of a fall and don't mind post holing back out till the trail is achieved again then I'd say go for it! Otherwise I recommend coming back later in the season when the snow turns to hardpack. no avalanche hazard on this route to report.

The following user would like to thank AltitudeSquirrel for this post
colinr

no avatar
repelmen

by repelmen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:45 am

Thank you for the post

Return to California