"The Wall" in Grand Teton NP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: "The Wall" in Grand Teton NP

by Bob Sihler » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:32 pm

I haven't climbed it, but my Bonney guide puts it at Class 4 from Hurricane Pass. Keep in mind that Bonney was from a different era; I have found a Bonney Class 4 to range anywhere from Class 3 to easy 5.

My best guess for why you don't hear much about ascents is that it's remote relative to the range's magnet peaks, and Alaska Basin seems to attract far more hikers than climbers. Remembering what the rock is like around there, though, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of rotten stuff.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mickey

by mickey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:53 pm

The Wall and the feature above Death Canyon Shelf are the same, geologically. It's limestone. I've always assumed it's crap—this is one of the oldest playgrounds for climbers in the country and there are people here who get paid to climb (Jenny Lake Rangers), yet I've never heard of anyone messing with these particular pieces of rock.

Not saying it can't be done, but when you've got the Snaz or the south side of Moran to play around on, both featuring beautiful solid gneiss, why mess with crappy limestone?

But you're right—The Wall is striking to look at and awfully tempting...

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:03 am

There aren't any routes on it to my knowledge. If someone has climbed it, the rock was crappy enough that they didn't want their name attached to it. ;)

WoollytheMammoth

by WoollytheMammoth » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:38 am

A coworker of mine was on top of the wall yesterday. He accessed it via a couloir on the north face above south fork cascade canyon. Of course it may be easier in the winter than the summer.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)