FS: Rock Exotica Soloist

A forum for members looking to buy and sell gear from and to each other.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

FS: Rock Exotica Soloist

by Bob Sihler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:52 pm

I recently got a Silent Partner and don't need both, so I am selling the Soloist.

If you want to get into solo trad but don't want to shell out the bucks for the SP, this is the way to go. Unlike the Grigri, this was designed specifically for solo leading, and it is easier to use and much safer than a Grigri is for it.

I got it new at Christmas 2013 and used it on weekends for about a year. Took no trad falls and a couple toprope falls.

To use this, you need a chest harness because the device attaches to both that and your waist harness. I use a loop of webbing (pictured and available if requested at no additional cost) instead of spending the $ on an actual harness. To attach to your waist harness, you use a loop of 8 or 9 mm cord (also pictured and included).

It is also easy to rappel with the Soloist.

One big disadvantage compared to the SP is that the Soloist is not designed to catch an upside-down fall, so backup knots are essential (you should be backing it up anyway). I've used it to solo-lead up to 5.7 and have had no such issues on those routes.

One thing I like about it better than I do the SP is that because the device is positioned higher, it's often easier to set a piece of pro at eye level or slightly higher, giving you more confidence as you make the next move. This is harder to do with the SP.

Somewhere in the house I have the original manual, but if I can't find it, it's absolutely imperative to download and read the manual:

http://www.rockexotica.fr/products/downloads/data/tech_notice/soloistmanual.pdf

I got this on sale for about $125.

Asking $80, including shipping to anywhere in Lower 48.

Please PM or email if interested.

"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: FS: Rock Exotica Soloist

by Bob Sihler » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Sold.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Return to Classifieds