Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Food for altitude

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Re: Food for altitude

Postby LincolnB » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Cheese, sausage, almonds and figs.
High on fat because it has double the calories per pound compared to protein or carbs.
The figs add sugar and always go down well for me.
No need to cook -- saves the extra weight of a stove etc, avoids the time and hassle of preparing meals.
LincolnB

Postby JHH60 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Italian dry salami is pretty close to pemmican (pure fat and protein), has high caloric value for its weight, tastes good, can be found in many grocery stores, and lasts a long time. Hard cheese likewise. Both are good on whole grain rye crackers (e.g., Wasa) which don't have a lot of calorie value but provide roughage and are a good fat delivery vehicle. Peanut butter is also excellent on rye crackers.
JHH60

Postby bscott » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Tonka wrote:...sealed tuna pack...

oh, good call on the tuna. for long trips i wouldn't take it (too heavy), but the family size tuna packs are a great protein source. i'll eat one of those with four mayo packets, it's 40g of protein, and i get fat and calories from the mayo (along with other snacks i bring). my 2 - 3 day trips are always stocked with tuna.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.
bscott

Postby Hiker007 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 pm

canned tuna, PB&J sandwiches, sardines (aka "kipper snacks"),nuts, chocolates, coffee or tea. Minimize the use proteins and fats as much as you can as they take much longer time to digest and also use body's water for this purpose.
Hiker007

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:16 am

Whatever tastes good to you. I recall one trip where all I could stomach was m&ms. You can go a few days on an incredibly unbalanced diet. Get the calories and the water.

I haven't brought a stove on a backpacking trip in some time. I eat jerky, peanut butter with crackers, dried fruit, sausage sticks, hard cheddar cheese, Bela Vita, starbucks iced coffee, lots of bars. I bring freeze-dried raspberries and strawberries for a treat. Hydrate really well in the morning.
MoapaPk

Postby ToOldForThis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:16 pm

How about granola bars with peanut butter. The granola bars seem to hold up a lot better in my pack plus they provide more nutrition than plain crackers. I really like the taste too. The first criteria for packing/hiking food should always be will you eat it IMO. Also each individual will react differently. Sometimes you'll find a food you love at home doesn't appeal to you when your out hiking. At least that's what I've read; personally, I've never had an appetite problem, not even above 14,000' Mount Whitney.
ToOldForThis

Postby _alpha » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:23 am

For water I really prefer the Katadyn Micropur to iodine. I would rather taste the chlorine.

For food, lately it's raisins, fruit roll ups, granola bars (chewy, not crunchy) and sometimes pop tarts (though these can be dry). For real meals, Hormel or a mountain House are way better than just continuing to snack.

If it's cold, any hot flavored drink is helpful for me. Usually cider or hot chocolate.
_alpha

Previous

Return to Technique and Training