Altimeter app

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Matis

Altimeter app

by Matis » Sat May 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello everybody!

I'm an app developer and a few times a year I also go climb mountains.
I noticed that most apps in the App Store that measure your height aren't accurate and really don't look good.
So, my question is if anyone would be interested in such an app and if so which features it should really include.
Feel free to drop all your thoughts below!
If their is enough interest I will make an accurate altimeter app, I already searched a bit on the internet and I'm convinced that making a really accurate altimeter app, that requires no internet, is possible.

Thanks in advance,
Matis

no avatar
ToOldForThis

Re: Altimeter app

by ToOldForThis » Mon May 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Total elevation gain and loss, current elevation, a means to adjust it based on known elevation.

The following user would like to thank ToOldForThis for this post
Zhang Bozheng

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon May 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Handheld GPS units by Garmin have good elevation estimates. The main trick is to get a good estimation of the geoid at the point of measurement. Considering that good estimates were made when a gps might have no more than 23 mb storage, they should be rather trivial with today's 1000x storage.

no avatar
JD

by JD » Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 pm

The same as what ToOldForThis said. Current elevation (displayable in feet or meters), a means to set the current elevation, and an accumulator function that adds up the gain/loss. Plus a way to store previous values, the last week, the last month or year and a way to clear those. An elapsed time feature would be handy. And a simple graphic display might be a nice touch.

The old Avocet barometric altimeter watches do accumlation fairly well, within the limits of barometers. GPS requires a map to get consistent elevation and is more power consumptive, but maybe these aren't obstacles any more in a phone? Or maybe combining barometer with sparse use of GPS is the best way.

The current iOS/iPhone has a stair flight counter. From what I've heard it isn't very good at it. And from a hiking/mountaineering perspective it's useless. I've wondered how hard it would be to write an app for the iPhone, having never done it. It looks like I'd have to pony up $100 just to give it a shot.

Steve Pratt

by Steve Pratt » Tue May 12, 2015 2:34 am

Vertical rate in feet per minute. I use that feature on my suunto every climb. 18 fpm is about 1000/ hr, and 1000/hr will get you just about anywhere you want to go.

no avatar
Matis

by Matis » Wed May 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Today, the app finaly went online. Be sure to watch it on the following link ;)
https://appsto.re/be/clDg7.i
I hope you like it. The app is already really accurate and in further upgrades I promise I will make it even more accurate.
It costs 0.99c because I worked on it a while and really believe this Altimeter is better than others. I also need to charge this 0.99c because I'm only 15 years old and need to pay 90€ a year to be allowed to make apps on the App Store. I hope you can support me ;)

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Matis wrote:Hello everybody!

I'm an app developer and a few times a year I also go climb mountains.
I noticed that most apps in the App Store that measure your height aren't accurate and really don't look good.
So, my question is if anyone would be interested in such an app and if so which features it should really include.
Feel free to drop all your thoughts below!
If their is enough interest I will make an accurate altimeter app, I already searched a bit on the internet and I'm convinced that making a really accurate altimeter app, that requires no internet, is possible.

Thanks in advance,
Matis

A SP app would be good as well :wink:

no avatar
JD

by JD » Tue May 19, 2015 3:54 pm

What does it do exactly?
Screenshots?
Has it been tested outside of Belgium?
Is it worth $0.99?
Can't tell.

Looking forward to more details.

iTunes wrote:Description

This is Altimeter, an app made by DSDeveloping!

Altimeter is an accurate instrument to measure your height on iPhone that requires no internet!
This app was coded very recently using the most modern techniques available.
To ensure you the app's accuracy, we developed a new special system that only uses the most precise measurements of the past milliseconds. This sytem brings the app's prestations to unknown heights.

We of DSDeveloping are really proud to present you our altimeter with a simple but charming design and supremely correct measurements.

We hope you enjoy Altimeter and look forward to hear what you think about Altimeter!

*No internet required
*Map included
*No Ads
*No In-App Purchases
*Meters and feet supported

https://itunes.apple.com/app/altimeter-by-dsdeveloping/id991548098?mt=8

no avatar
Matis

by Matis » Wed May 27, 2015 6:51 pm

JD wrote:What does it do exactly?
Screenshots?
Has it been tested outside of Belgium?
Is it worth $0.99?
Can't tell.

Looking forward to more details.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/altimeter-by-dsdeveloping/id991548098?mt=8

Sorry for my late response, I had it too busy with school...
This app just gives you your altitude above sealevel. It also shows a picture that relates with the altitude you have (fe Eiffel Tower if you're at 380 m)
There are 4 screenshots available on the app store if you search my app.
I personally tested it only in Belgium and France, we even flew with a plane and the altimeter worked very well even on very high heights.
Is it worth 0.99? Maybe not, maybe yes. It's up to you to decide.
I think 99c isn't much for this app, I would be happier with this app which you can use forever than with for example one coffee you know. ;)
Today I sent an update for review and in about 6 days the update will be online if everything goes right. This update solves the problem with the withe background, makes it available for iOS 7 too and adds an Apple Watch version.
I will post again if it's online.

Matis

no avatar
JD

by JD » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Matis, thank for the response. I see now that the app only provides elevation. I really want to know how much I have gained walking up and down hills during the day and not how my elevation in the mountains compares to the height of a giraffe.

For me the $0.99 is better spent on coffee. :-)

Good luck with your apps.

Return to General