Boundary Peak, NV ~July 29th?

Find climbing partners in the Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX).
Dartmouth Hiker

Boundary Peak, NV ~July 29th?

by Dartmouth Hiker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:17 pm

I'm planning to hit up some peaks in Nevada for the first time, through much of the week after next. I am however reticent to go after Boundary due to the beta I've heard regarding both road approaches (apparently, high clearance at a minimum is needed to get close enough for a reasonable dayhike).

Is anybody interested in climbing Boundary around the 29th, who also has a sturdy vehicle that can handle these roads? I can be flexible a day or two in either direction. I'd be open to climbing Montgomery too, but it's not a must.

If interested, please let me know! Best way to reach me is email at herbst.krummholz at gmail dot com.

-Chris

jeffh25

Re: Boundary Peak, NV ~July 29th?

by jeffh25 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm sure the road could change from year to year or in any good rain but I was able to get to within a mile of the Queen mine in a tiny ground hugging Toyota 3 years ago. We just left it there and carried everything up to the Kennedy point saddle to camp. So it's doable. Pretty sure you could get to the mine in any SUV or bigger car though.

Dartmouth Hiker

by Dartmouth Hiker » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Conditions from 2014 seemed to indicate you could only make it to the start of the canyon proper in a passenger car. That'd be over 6000 feet of gain, in the desert, in summer. That's why I'm concerned. The road definitely sounds worse than it's been in the past.

Ambret

by Ambret » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Three of us summited Boundary Peak in August 2012 (my Summitpost trip report is at http://www.summitpost.org/nailing-nevad ... ail/809180). I don't know about the road conditions now, but three years ago getting to the Queen Mine was readily doable, if bumpy. We had a Ford Escape 4WD (high clearance, narrow wheel base) and were able, slowly and carefully, to drive up to the Kennedy saddle. From there, the hike to the summit was 4.2 miles (each way), with a net elevation gain of 3340 feet. If you can only get to the Queen Mine, add an additional mile each way plus 1000 feet elevation to the hike. Heat was not a problem, but you'll need to take all your water; there is no water source along this trail (assuming the snow has all melted out).

Diesel

by Diesel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 am

I went up Boundary and Montgomery on 6/24/2015. See my trip report. The road is drivable on any type of car up to the mine. I think that is about 2 miles to the trailhead. After that, there are only a few difficult, rough parts on the road, but I can guarantee that a sedan won't negotiate them. I drove a Jeep Cherokee with no issues.

Return to US - Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)