Looking for a longer excursion

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
charzini

Looking for a longer excursion

by charzini » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:38 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site but I have a question I could use some advice with,

I'm a college student from NY and I'm looking for a trip I could do during my spring break mid-march in CA.
Ideally I would spend a few days camping on the mountain during the week and summit the mountain. I've looked at Mt Williamson but I'm not sure if there are camping options, nor what the climate is like in mid march.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good climb would be that would satisfy those conditions?

Thanks!

WyomingSummits

Re: Looking for a longer excursion

by WyomingSummits » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:49 am

What is your climbing, hiking, winter hiking, navigating history? If you're just doing this on a whim I'd seriously reconsider it. March can be a treacherous time for the snowpack, although the Sierras are hurting in that dept.

no avatar
charzini

by charzini » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:14 am

I have climbed mountains out east before and i have camped for extended periods of time, I am not unfamiliar with the concept I simply want to try and do this is in CA.

fedak

by fedak » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 am

How much winter mountaineering experience/gear do you have?

If the answer to that is "minimal" you probably want to stick to the lowlands where you won't encounter snow.
(And/or dangerous snowmelt runoff, avalanche conditions, snowpack navigation, etc)

Channel Islands, Joshua Tree, Big Sur, Lost Coast, Big Basin, etc are all nice in March.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

colinr

by colinr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:15 pm

charzini wrote:I'm a college student from NY and I'm looking for a trip I could do during my spring break mid-march in CA.
Ideally I would spend a few days camping on the mountain during the week and summit the mountain. I've looked at Mt Williamson but I'm not sure if there are camping options, nor what the climate is like in mid march.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good climb would be that would satisfy those conditions?

What conditions and terrain you are willing, able, and hoping to experience? There is a wealth of information available on this website (and others) that we could point you toward to save you some research time if you let us know what you most want to see and experience, including what conditions you hope to face. The wet season in CA generally runs from November through April. That can include blizzards at middle and high elevations and substantial rain and winds at lower elevations. As mentioned by the other posters, late winter in the Sierra often involves potentially dangerous conditions. October and May are generally shoulder season kind of months in most areas out here. Those looking for pleasant Sierra conditions usually aim for June through September with August and September being about as pleasant as it can get, unless you are hoping to experience lots of snowy scenery and terrain.

Fedak gave some great suggestions for areas to research. Even some of those often have snow or substantial rain storms through April. I'll add that Death Valley National Park can be great for peaks and canyons, if you go in prepared. Parts of Nevada, Utah, and Arizona are often great mid-March as well, but many high peaks in those states (and CA) would be hard to predict conditions for this far out, besides a decent chance of facing snow and storms. I usually try to have multiple options in mind for late winter/early spring trips, ranging from low to high, south to north, desert to coast, and then go to where the conditions are that I want to experience based on up to date condition reports and short term weather forecasts. In CA, you can often find a lot of variety to choose from within a one hour to half day drive.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:30 pm

charzini wrote:I have climbed mountains out east before and i have camped for extended periods of time, I am not unfamiliar with the concept I simply want to try and do this is in CA.

Go with someone who has winter high altitude experience. I apologize if this comes off condescending, but if you've only done eastern mountains and camping, then you simply don't "know the basic concept". I'm simply trying to avert you having to get hauled out in a bag dangling from the bottom of a chopper. Work your way up to it gradually, go with someone experienced, or hire a guide. Or do some lower elevation stuff in a climate a bit less harsh and where minimizing avalanches would be less of an issue. I wish you all the best.

surgent

by surgent » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Conditions in the deserts would be fantastic in mid-March (probably, barring the occasional storm).

If you're looking for a multi-day backpack/climb, consider the Rabbit-Villager combo down in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Most people do it as a two-day journey, easily extended into a 3rd day, but water could be an issue.

If you don't mind a series of day hikes, you have no shortage of quality peaks. As mentioned above, Joshua Tree has some great mountains along with the usual rock routes.

You could split the difference, getting one of the bigger more "alpine"-like peaks such as San Gorgonio or San Jacinto. Conditions could be nice, probably still with snow, but very hard to predict.

If you conclude you may not be ready for a 14er (or in that category) especially in March, don't be bummed. The desert summits have terrain and scenery as beautiful and interesting (but different) as you might find at higher elevation.

So yes, I am trying to steer you more toward the deserts, where you have better chances of good weather, nearly unlimited options, many high-quality peaks. People from outside the desert southwest sometimes dismiss the deserts and their peaks as unworthy, but they have an attraction entirely of its own making and you wouldn't be disappointed.

colinr

by colinr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:24 pm

I'll admit to being drawn to the allure of winter and early spring trips into the snowy range at times, but I aim for pleasant weather windows, low avalanche risk days and terrain, low commitment routes, and/or somewhat traveled paths. I also know how I tend to respond to altitude.

I agree with Surgent regarding the outstanding opportunities in the desert southwest. Besides, a Williamson trip holds a lot of desert qualities itself. Each of the past five winters, I have enjoyed one, or sometimes two, week long hiking trips in the desert. I'm heading back for more soon. Coming from the north and being deterred by dog restrictions for at least another year, I've found enough to keep me busy in the northern expanses of desert that I haven't even touched the great stuff south of I-40 he listed, but am looking forward to all of it.  If coming from L.A. area, they are convenient.  

Actually, I have dayhiked San Gorgonio (in summer);  as mentioned, conditions may likely be wintery or treacherous in mid-March, but there are nice backpacking opportunities up there and the peaks in the area are worthwhile, yet not as daunting as something like Williamson.  All the lower stuff to the east and south would indeed be a pretty safe bet in terms of weather and conditions, yet still be fun.

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:47 pm

I'll say take Williamson off the list.
plenty of "easy" type snow camping and peak bagging summits in the Sierra and esp. Tahoe.
March will have the most chance of storms and probably the most snowpack.

for an intro outing, look into Tahoe areas like tallac, round top, Ralston.
for the sierra high county, you should look into easy objectives out of Mammoth crest or rock creek.

you will want snow shoes or skis and have some avalanche education

Deb

by Deb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:09 pm

^^^^troll^^^^ :/

Return to California