1 week in WA-where to go?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
gethikin

1 week in WA-where to go?

by gethikin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:01 am

Hello all- I thought i posted this question in the past but can't seem to find it. Anyways I am thinking about doing a week trip to WA in the last week of September. I'm looking for some good day hikes (15 miles or less). I'm ok with some scrambling but am not a rock climber. I'm more into some big time scenery in the Cascades/Mt Baker or Olympic. With 4 or 5 hikes available, what are some "must sees" you can suggest? Thanks in advance.

awilsondc

Re: 1 week in WA-where to go?

by awilsondc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:57 am

Day hikes only or over night? Where will you be staying? There are a lot of options here but for sheer scenery I'd recommend a few areas. Mt. Rainier is a good place to start. You could do the Tatoosh traverse or just part of it. I love the views from Plummer and Pinnacle is a rad scramble (but pretty intense exposure). The Olympics would be a good place to visit also. Mt. Stone and Lake of the Angels is a difficult hike but very scenic. Mt. Ellinor (very busy trail) or Mt. Washington (steep, scramble, solitude) are a couple easier day hikes. I-90 offers some decent scenery. I like Kaleetan, Silver, or Red Mountain for the scenery. The Mountain Loop Highway is pretty spectacular. I'd go with Vesper, Pugh, or Del Campo if it's just for a day. North Cascades National Park is phenomenal as well, but I haven't been up there enough to give a good recommendation, but it's worth checking out for sure. The Enchantments are super scenic but it's a long day if you're just taking a day trip although Colchuck Lake and Dragontail Peak might be worth it. If you want a good scramble North Twin is the way to go, but only if you can find a bike for the approach (and coast down). I'd probably stick to Mt. Rainier and north if I only had one week, but if you want to go south the Goat Rocks is nice. Ives, Gilbert, or Old Snowy are good options. This should give you some options to think about.

The following user would like to thank awilsondc for this post
gethikin

no avatar
gethikin

by gethikin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Mostly day hikes but maybe an overnight. One i pick some targets I'll try to find some lodging nearby. One week doesn't seem nearly enough!!

Thanks for the info!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:04 pm

I curated this list of hikes to maximize great alpine scenery, quality of trails and minimize drive time from Seattle. All hikes are around 11-12 miles round trip, although all can be extended and many side attractions exist. All trailheads are within a 3 hour drive of Seattle, traffic dependent.

Colchuck Lake in the Central Cascades/Enchantments, accessed from Leavenworth, Washington. A fine 5.5 mile hike ends at the deep moraine Colchuck Lake. You will be treated to a 270 degree vista of 3,000 foot high granite walls, ridges, and couloirs of Colchuck Balanced Rock, Dragontail Peak, and Colchuck Peak. A photographer/climber friend believes it to be the most beautiful spot in the Cascades.Image

Mt Baker, Ptarmigan Ridge. Starting from the end of the Mount Baker Hwy, Artist's Point, you will enjoy the classic view of one of the most photographed mountains in the world, Mt. Shuksan. Look to the other direction and you will be looking at the steep Park Glacier headwall of Mt. Baker. The Ptarmigan Ridge trail hikes towards Mt Baker along a ridge, passing lush meadows, cascading waterfalls, and deep glacier carved valleys. In about 5.5 miles the trail abruptly ends at a knoll perfect for lunch and viewing Mt. Baker. Image

Cascade Pass. Already mentioned but worth a second vote. Hike the easily graded trail to Cascade Pass and enjoy views into ultra classic mountaineering objectives like Torment Peak, Forbidden Peak, Sahale Peak, Mixup Peak, and the mile high 'Eiger of the Cascades', Johannesberg Peak. Image

Ingall's Lake. This lake is accessed from I-90, just past the town of Cle Elum. The lake is gained after about 4 miles of enjoyable trail through a landscape dominated by olivine/dunite rock formations and mountains oxidized to a deep red. From Ingall's Lake look across the deep Ingall's Creek valley to the immense bulk of the perfect pyramid of Mt. Stuart, one of the biggest chunks of granite in North America. The creek valley neatly dissects the two geological areas; olivine to the south, white grandiorite to the north. Image

If you feel compelled to hike Mt Rainier, I recommend Spray Park from Mowich Lake. This, the most accessible trailhead to Seattle, boasts amazing wildflower meadows and views into the 'steep' side of Mt Rainier including Ptarmigan Ridge and Mowich Face. It is also less visited than Paradise, Sunrise, or White River so you will enjoy a more wilderness experience. The hike is about 5 miles, but one can hike farther up Ptarmigan Ridge or explore side attractions like Observation Rock. Image

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
gethikin

nickmech

by nickmech » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:40 am

Good list X-Boy.

no avatar
adamas_it

by adamas_it » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:49 pm

In a couple of weeks I'll go to WA and I'll be based in Ashford for three days. Do you think that hikes such as Colchuk Lake and Ingall's Lake are doable in a day back and forth from Ashford? Or the driving would take up too much time?

Do you have also some suggestions for day hikes in the Olympic peninsula?

Thanks.

ExcitableBoy wrote:I curated this list of hikes to maximize great alpine scenery, quality of trails and minimize drive time from Seattle. All hikes are around 11-12 miles round trip, although all can be extended and many side attractions exist. All trailheads are within a 3 hour drive of Seattle, traffic dependent.

Colchuck Lake in the Central Cascades/Enchantments, accessed from Leavenworth, Washington. A fine 5.5 mile hike ends at the deep moraine Colchuck Lake. You will be treated to a 270 degree vista of 3,000 foot high granite walls, ridges, and couloirs of Colchuck Balanced Rock, Dragontail Peak, and Colchuck Peak. A photographer/climber friend believes it to be the most beautiful spot in the Cascades.Image

Mt Baker, Ptarmigan Ridge. Starting from the end of the Mount Baker Hwy, Artist's Point, you will enjoy the classic view of one of the most photographed mountains in the world, Mt. Shuksan. Look to the other direction and you will be looking at the steep Park Glacier headwall of Mt. Baker. The Ptarmigan Ridge trail hikes towards Mt Baker along a ridge, passing lush meadows, cascading waterfalls, and deep glacier carved valleys. In about 5.5 miles the trail abruptly ends at a knoll perfect for lunch and viewing Mt. Baker. Image

Cascade Pass. Already mentioned but worth a second vote. Hike the easily graded trail to Cascade Pass and enjoy views into ultra classic mountaineering objectives like Torment Peak, Forbidden Peak, Sahale Peak, Mixup Peak, and the mile high 'Eiger of the Cascades', Johannesberg Peak. Image

Ingall's Lake. This lake is accessed from I-90, just past the town of Cle Elum. The lake is gained after about 4 miles of enjoyable trail through a landscape dominated by olivine/dunite rock formations and mountains oxidized to a deep red. From Ingall's Lake look across the deep Ingall's Creek valley to the immense bulk of the perfect pyramid of Mt. Stuart, one of the biggest chunks of granite in North America. The creek valley neatly dissects the two geological areas; olivine to the south, white grandiorite to the north. Image

If you feel compelled to hike Mt Rainier, I recommend Spray Park from Mowich Lake. This, the most accessible trailhead to Seattle, boasts amazing wildflower meadows and views into the 'steep' side of Mt Rainier including Ptarmigan Ridge and Mowich Face. It is also less visited than Paradise, Sunrise, or White River so you will enjoy a more wilderness experience. The hike is about 5 miles, but one can hike farther up Ptarmigan Ridge or explore side attractions like Observation Rock. Image

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:06 pm

adamas_it wrote:In a couple of weeks I'll go to WA and I'll be based in Ashford for three days. Do you think that hikes such as Colchuk Lake and Ingall's Lake are doable in a day back and forth from Ashford? Or the driving would take up too much time?

Thanks.

From Ashford add at least 3 hours drive time each way, so most of these objects you will be driving 6-7 hours round trip. I am not too familiar with the Olympic Peninsula. From Ashford I would recommend looking at hikes within the park (Camp Muir), the Tatoosh Range (Pinnacle Peak, The Castle), Goat Rocks Wilderness (Old Snow, Ives Peak) and Mt Adams.

no avatar
adamas_it

by adamas_it » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
Is the route to Pinnacle Peak a technical one, requiring pitch climbing and rappelling, or a simple hike?

ExcitableBoy wrote:
adamas_it wrote:In a couple of weeks I'll go to WA and I'll be based in Ashford for three days. Do you think that hikes such as Colchuk Lake and Ingall's Lake are doable in a day back and forth from Ashford? Or the driving would take up too much time?

Thanks.

From Ashford add at least 3 hours drive time each way, so most of these objects you will be driving 6-7 hours round trip. I am not too familiar with the Olympic Peninsula. From Ashford I would recommend looking at hikes within the park (Camp Muir), the Tatoosh Range (Pinnacle Peak, The Castle), Goat Rocks Wilderness (Old Snow, Ives Peak) and Mt Adams.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:09 pm

adamas_it wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.
Is the route to Pinnacle Peak a technical one, requiring pitch climbing and rappelling, or a simple hike?

I've only done the North Ridge in winter as a technical mixed ice/rock route, so I cannot personally vouch for it, but the Pinnacle Peak page here on summit post http://www.summitpost.org/pinnacle-peak/150918 indicates there is a 4th class scramble route, certainly more than a simple, some folks do use a rope.

awilsondc

by awilsondc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:17 am

adamas_it wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

Pinnacle is a short hike in followed by a class 3+/4- scramble. I do a lot of scrambling and this route is pretty intense but I've done it a couple times with no ropes. I've seen groups rope up for it, but if you're comfortable with exposed scrambles you can do it without. It most certainly is not a simple hike. :)

no avatar
gethikin

by gethikin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:38 am

Wow-Been awhile since I checked my post and a lot of good info since then!Thank you much!

So far the plan was:
Cascade Pass (not sure it's going to happen because of fire)
Hidden Lake
Anderson and Watson Lake
Hoh Rainforest
Tolmie Peak
Summit Lake
Alta Mountain

I may have to rethink a few of with the new information OR start planning next years trip... ;-)

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)