Newbie Euro hiker needs help for Mont Blanc!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
beckt

Newbie Euro hiker needs help for Mont Blanc!

by beckt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:30 am

Hi there,

I am a fit mid-30s Australian female who loves hiking but has limited overseas experience in the activity. A couple of months ago I went to Europe for the first time and quickly became hooked on both the continent and its hiking. The hikes I did were relatively modest in challenge - the Cinque Terre, low and high routes, and the Val Gardena area in the Dolomites from Ortisei. Looking up at those beautiful Dolomiti rocks I knew I had to come back. I have however always wanted to see Mont Blanc and am thinking that perhaps I will next head here. I need some advice!

(I should say that while I want to do a challenging multi-day hike preferably in the Mont Blanc area - most preferably the Italian side - I am open to other ideas.) I have picked the Alps because I have fallen in love with the romance of Mont Blanc from images and stories of others. However I do know from my Dolomites experience that tallest is not the only qualifier for awesome. I would definitely consider the Dolomites again but only if I was doing a via ferrata as I want more challenge than single day valley hikes next time. I also would like to see Slovenia and Croatia ...)

Questions:
1. do you have recommendations on week-long hiking routes in the Alps that include challenge (I would like to hike for more than 3-4 hours a day - up to 7 or more)

2. Have you heard of this route/company:
http://www.guidecourmayeur.com/montebia ... route.html

3. What are your thoughts on height of mountains? Does it matter for challenge, beauty etc?

4. I would like to do the Alps from the Italian side but am open to ideas. I would consider France, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia or even Germany.

5. Does anyone have ideas for the itinerary before/after the hiking? I will have four weeks and would like some water and cities?

6. Is it a silly idea to do the Alps and then get to Slovenia/Croatia? The reason I would like to do this is because this year I saw Spain, France and Italy and I guess I feel like I should expand my cultural horizons. When you come from Australia you're never sure when you'll be back!

7. My budget for this trip would be well under €6000 if possible, including flights which cost around €1300. Is this doable? (I spent a lot more than that in six weeks this year but I didn't hold back and shopped a lot too! Apologies if this last questions isn't relevant to this site.)

Thanks in advance.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Newbie Euro hiker needs help for Mont Blanc!

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:14 am

@1:
There's a huge amount of one-week-trails -- in fact this is the most popular format.
Look up wandersite.ch e.g.
Regarding Montblanc/Italian side there is of course the TMB (Tour Mont Blanc), also Altavia Aosta No1+3, Tour du Cervin & Tour du Combin.

@2:
Looks pretty much like Altavia Aosta No1, but with overnight in the valleys instead of huts. More comfort & cuisine, less nature...

@3:
In the alps due to climate change only peaks above 3000...3500m have glaciers; yes, altitude does matter :-)
Of course thinner air is more challenging, if you're not adapted to it.

@4,5,6:
Bigger cities in or next to the alps are Milano, Munich, Vienna, Torino, Grenoble, Innsbruck, Zurich, ...
I wouldn't trek huge Mont Blanc and then afterwards the smaller mountains in Slovenia, Germany etc.; better step-up than down :wink:

@7:
Budget should be possible. Note that switzerland (currency: CHF) has raised the exchange versus Euro so it has become even more expensive (around +20%).
A alpine hut overnight with demi-pension will be around 65...70 swiss francs whereas it costs you around fifty euros elsewhere.

no avatar
beckt

by beckt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks Flachlandtiroler! I guess I am a little daunted at the prospect as I'll be travelling alone. But it was so easy in the Dolomites I think I would regret not giving it a go. Having said that, the hikes I did in the Dolomites were in the Val Gardena, not via ferrata so somewhat easier. I don't want to do dangerous hikes but I do want challenge. Is it possible to do the TMB alone and book into refuges as you go, even in late June or July?

shavrka

by shavrka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 pm

climbing Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro, contact a private message to shavrka@gmail.com and will provide for you two top guides that you will not have to pay and who will look after your safety.
greeting.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:06 am

beckt wrote:Is it possible to do the TMB alone and book into refuges as you go, even in late June or July?

TMB is +/- a ten days trip AFAIK, so either cut some stages or hurry up to complete it in seven days. Or just take your time...

TMB is rated T2-T3; not knowing it, I would conclude that it offers simple hiking -- nothing serious like ferrata, scrambling, glaciers etc.
The other thing is there are two passes with about 2500m altitude and end of the june there may be (depending on the weather during the weeks before) some snow left. Should not pose a real problem. So going "alone" (there are lots of hikers normally) is ok.

Reservation for the refuges is mandatory. Normally you can just call them by phone.

off topic:
I don't want to do dangerous hikes but I do want challenge.

That is in a way the spirit of our times... :wink:
IMHO: Learning to cope with the dangers adds a lot to the adventure; much more than reliing on someone else and thinking, that everything is arranged safely.

no avatar
Vic.russo.studento

by Vic.russo.studento » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:42 am

beckt wrote:Thanks Flachlandtiroler! I guess I am a little daunted at the prospect as I'll be travelling alone. But it was so easy in the Dolomites I think I would regret not giving it a go. Having said that, the hikes I did in the Dolomites were in the Val Gardena, not via ferrata so somewhat easier. I don't want to do dangerous hikes but I do want challenge. Is it possible to do the TMB alone and book into refuges as you go, even in late June or July?

You can do two-week hike of Walker Haute Route from Mount Blanc area in France to Zermatt area in Switzerland . The highest point is 2900, and there are plenty of refugios in the way , although Switzerland can be expensive.
Also you can try multi day hiking in Austrian Tirol - High Berlin Trail and Stubaier Ruckzack Route.

If you want some Alps-like scenery, but higher and more cheaper, you can try Georgia. Geografically it's in Asia, but on the border with Europe. You can do there Mestia-Ushguli 4-day trek with sleeping in guesthouses in villages between 1400 and 2200 and reaching 3000 at highest point with altitude gain and drop between 4000 and 1000 meters every day. This September I did 8-day hiking in Svaneti, Georgia, including Mestia-Ushguli trek and combining it with less popular hiking between valleys there and strenuous day hikes. Also in Kazbegi region of Georgia you have some challenging treks, that can be done in 10 hours every day between villages , if you don't want to take tent with mountain passes free of snow between 3000 and 3400 meters. Check the scenery of Chaukhi Pass and you will fall in love.
Also you can reach 3650-meter-placed Betlemi Hut on Kazbegi and spend there one night, and with hikes in the area you'll be acclimatized for it .
The best time for Georgia is from beginning of July till the beginning of October.

AlpineTrails

by AlpineTrails » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:31 am

as previously mentioned. TMB is worth doing. There are lots of huts/hotels along the route and is usually done in about 9 days. But If you are looking for something more challenging than you can combine some of the days like I did. The scenery is superb and worth it.

In general summer is a better time as it gives you more daylight and better weather. Even though is more crowded it means you won't be alone on the route so there is no need for a guide. Paths are clearly marked and as long as you have a guidebook and a map your good to go. Is better to book your accommodation at least 1 day in advance especially for the huts.

For Slovenia, Triglav national park is superb and the peak itself has a nice via ferrata route.
GR20 in Corsica again is something to be considered.
Spend a few days in Chamonix and Zermatt, enjoy the view and just relax. If you love the mountains like I do, that's like going to heaven.
Milano is dirty, expensive and not much to see.
Munich and Vienna worth a visit.
Innsbruck is a great little mountain city and also worth a visit

There are many more great routes around the alps. A good idea would be to buy a bookguide with all the treks

Return to Europe