North Couloir of Thunderbolt Snow/Ice Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
patacap

North Couloir of Thunderbolt Snow/Ice Conditions

by patacap » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Can anybody tell me what the snow/ice conditions (if any) in the North Couloir of Thunderbolt are like? Looking to descend it this weekend. Don't know whether to bring microspikes or worry about crevasses or crossing bergschrunds.

seano

Re: North Couloir of Thunderbolt Snow/Ice Conditions

by seano » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm not certain about the North, but the Underhill was bare dirt last weekend, as was the East face/chute, and there's enough dirt and rock on the glacier(s) themselves that it's pretty easy to walk across without spikes. From what I remember seeing on the approach to the east side, the north side looked like you would have to climb around steep, dirty old ice; it didn't look pleasant.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
patacap

no avatar
patacap

Re: North Couloir of Thunderbolt Snow/Ice Conditions

by patacap » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Did Sill to TBolt on Saturday. Didn't get a chance to look at the North Couloir. Underhill Couloir was pretty full of snow/ice. Lots of snow all along the ridge of the traverse from the storms earlier last week. Apparently it didn't melt away. PM me if you want pictures of route conditions.

Return to California