Blue Ridge Parkway Questions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
daw37

Blue Ridge Parkway Questions

by daw37 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:57 am

I'm planning to come over next year to visit Shenandoah NP, the BRP and Great Smokies NP.

Question 1: Is it worth doing any backpacking while there? I've looked at doing something in Shenandoah, maybe Mount Michell State Park (Deer Gap) and part of the AT in the Smokies (or LeConte Lodge if my Dad decides he wants to come). Any other ideas or suggestions? I'm doing research but there are a lot of potential options but nothing that's jumped out as a "must do".

Question 2: We are coming for the fall colors as my Dad wants to see them (I already have in New England last year.) I know it varies year on year but if we head North to South will mid October give us our best chance? Or should we go a little earlier or later? I've seen so many different books / websites saying contradictory things!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

David

chugach mtn boy

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway Questions

by chugach mtn boy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:53 pm

David, it's funny, I was just trying to work out a trip along the Cumbria Way with my wife, and here's a Cumbrian asking about my childhood stomping ground. I live in Alaska now, but still own and use a house a mile from the BRP in the Great Craggy Mountains of North Carolina.

You've got good instincts--Deer Gap makes a nice backpacking destination. I would use it as part of a "proper" ascent of the highest peak in eastern America, hiking up to Deer Gap from the South Toe River and then basing there for a day across the summits to Mt. Mitchell and back. LeConte Lodge is terrific but very, very hard to book--you should try to book now for next year, and cancel if you decide against going there. Bookings for 2016 open at 8 am local time on October 1 (next week), and you should make yours at approximately 8:01. The hike to LeConte by Alum Cave Bluffs is a classic by any standard.

In my experience, mid-October is the beginning of the sweet spot for North Carolina colors, which can be spectacular. The peak can fall then, or a bit later than that sometimes. Of course, it varies by elevation, but you really want to be there at peak time for the 3000-4000 foot band--if you shoot for peak at 5000, you'll have nice short-range views but will miss the full effect of outlooks over the valleys. I find that visitors tend to come too soon and miss the peak. Here is this year's forecast: http://www.romanticasheville.com/fall.htm

I am not sure I would do the entire Blue Ridge Parkway--might be better to just do the North Carolina section, which is plenty long, progressing very slowly with lots of hikes and side trips. I suppose you could also just do the Virginia section, but then you'd have to cope with Virginians the whole time ;).

You're welcome to PM me with questions. My special familiarity is with the area north of Black Mountain, NC.

Chris

daw37

by daw37 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks Chris.

I may actually do up to Deer Gap in one night and come out at Mt Mitchell - my Dad can be persuaded to drive round and pick me up and make it a nice linear hike. We'll be in a rental car, any idea what the gravel road is like down to the South Toe River? Technically I'm not supposed to take a rental on a gravel road but I know you can get away with good ones.

We're planning on 7-24 October ending up in the Smokies - which hopefully is as a good a bet as any for the two weeks to come over. Will consider doing part of the BRP, but my Dad has his heart set on all of it!

Might PM you as I do more planning. Happy for you to ask me questions about the Cumbria Way. I've never walked it all, but have probably walked large chunks of it and know the county pretty well.

David

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:40 am

No problem with that little bit of gravel road. You're in the east now -- this won't be like gravel roads in the west! Good idea about the one-way hike with dad picking you up--you'll enjoy it.

As for dad, take him up Blue Ridge Pinnacle--a glorious little peak for him in that area.
http://www.summitpost.org/blue-ridge-pinnacle/757620

daw37

by daw37 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks Chris - I've done the gravel roads in the west and some of them are terrible.

Great recommendation :)

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 am

I have used the Falcon guide for hiking the Blue Ridge Parkway to find a number of wonderful hikes. It gives a good mile by mile table for overlooks and hikes, etc. I am sure there are plenty of other guides as well.

I personally love the Linville Gorge area, but you may have issues on some of the roads getting to the trailheads.

Enjoy the Parkway. It's a wonderful place!

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Blue-Ridge-Parkway-Ultimate/dp/0762711051#reader_0762711051//

As for the Smokies, at peak leaf time the Tennessee side will by really busy. Gatlinburg will be a zoo! The traffic can ruin your day, particularly on a weekend.

Also, check the NPS site regarding the Alum Cave Trail to LeConte. In June it was closed Mon-Thurs for trail maintenance. I don't know the current status on that.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:43 pm

I second what Mark says about Linville Gorge. Most of the BRP itself is very narrow and much better for day hikes than for backpacking. If you need suggestions for great day hikes right off the parkway, I'd be happy to offer some.

And even though I'm a Virginian, I have to agree with Chris that the NC section is much better than the VA one, though the VA section is very nice from Shenandoah to about Roanoke.

If you need suggestions about hikes and backpacks in Shenandoah, feel free to ask; I've been just about everywhere in the park that's worth seeing, at least by trail. Bushwhacking has its own rewards but is best saved for winter there.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 pm

Skyline drive in Shenandoah National Park is heavily trafficked during fall color season and not exactly a wilderness experience but is still a spectacular drive. Growing up in Northern Virgina, as I did, we drove it many times when I was a kid, and did many day hikes in the area. Two that stand out in my memory are Old Rag Mountain and Hawksbill Mountain (the high point in Shenandoah NP). If you or your dad are foodies and are in the area, plan a side trip to the Inn at Little Washington, which for many years was the highest rated restaurant in the DC area, and is a few miles east of the Thornton Gap entrance to the park.

daw37

by daw37 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:41 am

Thanks Mark - I'll see if I can get a copy of that book in the UK. Or cheat and get it deliverd to a colleague in on of my firms US offices then use the internal mail :) I was aware Alum Cave is closed. It might be again next year but if so we'll just have to use a different approach e.g. Trillium Gap.

You say the the trailheads at Linville Gorge might be an issue - is that the gravel roads? If so I'm sure we'll find stuff to do we can get to.

Bob - I think between various books I have an already very long list of days hikes right off the BRP. If you had a recommend of a a one or two night backpack in Shenandoah that would be great though. I always like to get out for a night in every park I go to! Old Rag seems like a nice destination but you can't camp near the top.

David

silversummit

by silversummit » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:10 pm

I second the suggestion to consider Old Rag and Hawksbill but both will be very busy on weekends. In addition, parking for Old Rag can be next to impossible unless you start very early. Old Rag is a strenuous 9 mile circuit but certainly doable for anyone in decent shape; Hawksbill is easier. Check out the SNP website for more specifics.

And Alum Cave is beautiful but I wouldn't suggest it if the day is cloudy or wet. I liked our hike there but we had no views due to low hanging clouds. See my album http://www.summitpost.org/bluffing-on-the-alum-cave-bluffs-trail/882419 for some pictures.

Enjoy your trip!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Second to avoid the backpacking. The great thing about the BRP is the accessibility. You can drive along and do 2-3 great but short day hikes a day and get spectacular views in different areas. There are several campgrounds that are very nice for car camping. Enjoy!

daw37

by daw37 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks all - the helpful feedback will be really useful. Looking forward to my trip already - only a year away!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)