Mountaineering pack for a newbie

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
shotsie18

Mountaineering pack for a newbie

by shotsie18 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Hey all im new to mountaineering and im planning a climb next year on Mt Baker in Washington. Im starting to get all my gear together now and im looking for some help in picking a pack. Ive looked online all over and find different brands/ packs everywhere. What do you all recommend or use? I was looking at the Mountain Hardware south col 70 and the BMG 105. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ExcitableBoy

Re: Mountaineering pack for a newbie

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Avoid Mountain Hardwear, period. Every piece of MH kit I have owned has fallen apart on me. 70 liters is far too large, as is 105. Those are expedition sized packs.

For Mt Baker (as well as other multiday alpine/mountaineering trips) look for a 50 liter alpine pack. Cold Cold World Cherynobyl, Gregory Alpinisto, and Crux AK 47 are all top choices. Black Diamond, Montbel, and ArcTeryx all make appropriate packs as well.

The biggest mistake (har, har) that newbies make when purchasing a pack is buying too big a pack with too many features. Keep it simple. Avoid packs with overly padded hip belts, unnecessary pockets, zippers or other do dads.

no avatar
shotsie18

by shotsie18 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:19 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:Avoid Mountain Hardwear, period. Every piece of MH kit I have owned has fallen apart on me. 70 liters is far too large, as is 105. Those are expedition sized packs.

For Mt Baker (as well as other multiday alpine/mountaineering trips) look for a 50 liter alpine pack. Cold Cold World Cherynobyl, Gregory Alpinisto, and Crux AK 47 are all top choices. Black Diamond, Montbel, and ArcTeryx all make appropriate packs as well.

The biggest mistake (har, har) that newbies make when purchasing a pack is buying too big a pack with too many features. Keep it simple. Avoid packs with overly padded hip belts, unnecessary pockets, zippers or other do dads.

Thanks for the advice on mountain hardware. When i first started looking i saw the Mammut trion pro 50 +7 pack. Would this be a good pack and how is the mammut brand?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:56 pm

shotsie18 wrote:Thanks for the advice on mountain hardware. When i first started looking i saw the Mammut trion pro 50 +7 pack. Would this be a good pack and how is the mammut brand?

The Mammut brand is ok. I've not had good luck with their apparel, but have not used their packs. What bothers me (A LOT) about the Mammut trion pro 50 +7 pack is there is zippered access to the entire main compartment. Zippers break and should be avoided at all cost. The only exception is a zippered top lid.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:03 pm

This is what you should be looking at:

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/rucksacks.php ... &product=3

http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chernobyl.htm

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.ph ... id=1223323 (A bargain!)

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/cli ... ml#start=8
With the exception of the Crux pack, these are all in the price range of the Mammut you were looking at.

Notice how clean and simple these packs are? That is what you want. No unnecessary zippers, pockets, or other bells or whistles.

no avatar
shotsie18

by shotsie18 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:52 pm

awesome i've never heard of mont bell but they look nice. Any other gear you would recommend getting besides the pack i have a whole list as im sure you know.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:03 am

shotsie18 wrote:awesome i've never heard of mont bell but they look nice. Any other gear you would recommend getting besides the pack i have a whole list as im sure you know.

Montbell is a Japanese company and while they do no have a huge f0llowing here in the U.S., they understand what alpinists need from their gear and clothing; light, simple, functional, and reasonable durable. They are also well priced. One caveat, they fit thinner frames better than larger frames.

Email your list to me and I will give you my recommendations. FWIW, I used to guide Baker and have climbed it many dozens of times, so I have developed some definite preferences for gear. Send the list to daniel-p-smith@hotmail.com

no avatar
shotsie18

by shotsie18 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:42 pm

awsome thanks

Return to Gear