First Rainier Attempt Advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jslade11

First Rainier Attempt Advice

by jslade11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello all. My friend and I from the East Coast are looking for some thoughts on the viability of making a first attempt to summit Rainier Summer 2016 (June/July).

For some background, the both of us have climbed Mt. Shasta (June 2015 - took the steeper ascent through Red Banks chimneys) and Mt. Adams (September 2015), with Mt. Shasta being my first climb at any significant eleveation. My friend has experience with many Colorado 14ers including the Long's Peak keyhole route to get more used to exposure. We are both in good physical condition and are competitive runners and cyclists, and are intermediate rock climbers up to 5.8-5.10 level indoors. Shasta was physically difficult for me from an endurance aspect (mostly because I had never done any real backpacking with a pack of significant weight) but did not experience altitude issues other than a minor headache. We have purchased all of the required gear (boots, ice axe, crampons, clothing/jackets, harnesses, petzl crevasse rescue kits, rope, etc.) and we are also looking to take EMS courses (mountaineering 101, 201 and crevasse rescue) in the New England area to become more familiar prior to attempting Rainier.

I'd like to get an idea from some experienced Pacific NW climbers as to whether this is a reasonable next step. Thanks

Tonka

Re: First Rainier Attempt Advice

by Tonka » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:26 pm

You may be too late, the peak summer trips are most likely already filled.

ExcitableBoy

Re: First Rainier Attempt Advice

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Rainier is a logical next step. You will need to hone up on ice axe and crampon use and learn crevasse rescue, ideally those courses you are taking will cover those subjects. Here is an article that may be useful.
http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-t ... ier/507227

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)