Dolomites Alta Via 2

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
fredpt10

Dolomites Alta Via 2

by fredpt10 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Hello everybody.

I was thinking of going to the Dolomites this July and doing the Alta Via 2. I've done a couple of climbs (Mont Blanc, Gredos) but lately I haven't been able to climb anything. I have a couple of questions if you could help me.

1) Can I rent via ferrata equipment at some hut? What's the price?
2) Do I need to book the huts with a couple of weeks in advance or can I book 1 or 2 days before? I'm asking because I don't want to book them and get there later on;
3) Considering that I would be sleeping in the huts as well as buying the necessary supplies for the day there how much would it cost me for a 10/13 day trip?

Thanks =)

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Dolomites Alta Via 2

by rgg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Though I haven't done the Alta Via 2, I've been to the Italian Alps regularly for hiking, climbing and the occasional via ferrata. I've hiked around Brixen and did a couple of nearby real easy vie ferrate, for which most people didn't use any special equipment (I had only brought my helmet and via ferrata gloves). However, you need a bit of experience before considering something like that. In fact, those without equipment looked much more at ease than those with a complete via ferrata set.

As for Italian mountain huts, I've spent plenty of nights in lots of them, but the only one in this particular area is the Schlüterhütte / Rifugio Geneva, almost 10 years ago. I just had a look at their site; in 2015, half board for alpine club members started at 36,00 €.

Whenever I go to an area thinking I might find use for via ferrata gear, I bring my own, so I don't really pay attention to what any particular hut provides. That said, over the years I've seen that some huts do have gear available for guests, sometimes even for free! However, to find out what's available at any specific hut, you will have to call or email them. Furthermore, some huts only lend out gear after meeting you, for they first want to ascertain that you know what you are doing.

Having your own gear has its advantages. You're not dependent on what a hut might have (even if they have gear, it might be in use by others; or they might have the main kit but no gloves). Another big plus is that you can do a via ferrata and continue to another hut instead of having to go back to return the gear.

On the other hand, if you're just thinking of perhaps doing one or two easy vie ferrate, I will agree that renting or borrowing is more economical. But then you could consider trusting your luck and hope that when you reach a hut near a via ferrata you can rent or borrow gear on the spot. And should that not work out, well, once you've completed the Alta Via you can rent gear for a day and do a via ferrata as a day trip.

When to make reservations for the hut depends on your flexibility and the size of your party. I'm regularly just by myself in the Alps, all over in fact, and rarely make a reservation. Except in real popular huts there is virtually always room for one more. July is early season in Italy, so very few huts will be full (though there will be more people in the mountains in the weekends). Mind you, when going somewhere without a reservation, I accept the slim chance that once I arrive, I find the hut to be full (or, something that I've experienced a couple of times, turns out to to be closed), in which case I just keep hiking to the next hut, or down to the valley. That sometimes happens in August, but rarely in July. That said, it's much easier to be flexible on your own than with a larger group of people. Very occasionally, when I really want to stay at a particular hut, I make an exception and get a reservation. I've rarely done that in the Dolomites, but when I did, it was earlier on the day I would arrive.

On a solo trip to the Italian Alps I spend about 55 euro per day, including regular visits to alpine huts. Some areas are a little more expensive, others a bit cheaper. I'm an alpine club member, which means I get a discount on overnight stays in Alpine Club refuges. In villages I search for basic accommodation. I prefer simple B&B's, but if I can't find one I occasionally stay at a campground, which keeps costs low. Mostly I eat out, but when I'm at a campground I tend to cook myself. At the refuges I sometimes have half board, alternatively I just take my pick from the menu. As a heads up: breakfast in Italian huts can be a bit sparse.

If my day is such that I pass a hut roughly around lunch time, I'll often eat something there. However, normally I buy snacks and supplies for lunch in the villages, either before or during the trip. All the huts can provide snacks (e.g. chocolate) and a packed lunch, but the selection is usually far too limited for my taste, and it's more expensive too.

Since you asked about a 10/13 day trip, my budget would be 550/715 euro. That covers everything except the return trip to and from the Alps. I've seen people spend less, but most spend more.

Return to Europe