Bishop Pass Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
sgenise

Bishop Pass Conditions

by sgenise » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Hey all! Looking to climb Agassiz in about two weeks, and I'm wondering if anyone's been up to Bishop/South Lake area and has any beta on snow and road conditions. Thanks!

Scott M.

Re: Bishop Pass Conditions

by Scott M. » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:21 am

Road is perfectly clear to the trailhead. Not a first hand report but PCT thru hikers have been making their way over the pass with no problems reported yet snow still exists. I'm sure someone will chime in with a more accurate snow report than mine.

SJD

by SJD » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:37 am

Ditto what Scott says.

I was at Treasure Lakes yesterday, snow was solid at 11k and patchy below. Of course it's so bloody warm up there it could mostly be gone in two weeks.

sgenise

by sgenise » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:01 pm

TR from this week:

We attempted to climb Agassiz, camped at Long Lake in great conditions Tuesday night, no snow. Patchy snow started just above 10,500, solid by 11,000. We hiked to the top of the pass to acclimatize on Wednesday, and the pass had great snow in the morning but became very slushy by mid-day with major postholing and sketchy snow-bridges. By the time we got back down and made camp, the wind had picked up to what felt like 20-30 mph, and it was nearly impossible to find a sheltered spot to set up. Eventually we decided to go down, and by the time we had gotten back to the trailhead, the wind had picked up further.

Return to California