Posting replies to photo comments

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mills

Posting replies to photo comments

by mills » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Ok here goes, I have been a member since 2009 and have had fantastic comments on my photos, here where my dilemma begins ! when replying to comments I just re-write a headed caption on the reply to post sheet at the bottom of the page, unknown to myself until yesterday I was told that for the person to see my returned comments I have to press reply on their comment page. So if this is the case everybody who has kindly posted comments on my photos will not have had a reply as such since 2009 :oops:
Now the question is do I reply to all the peoples who have kindly taken their time to write up their comments on my page, I have a feeling of moral duty to do so, I feel that I have let people down and am quite embarrassed, thank you for reading my long winded posting and hope it makes sense :o :oops:

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Posting replies to photo comments

by rgg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Yes, it makes sense all right. I've occasionally seen other people doing the same kind of replying as you did.
My idea on the matter is that you tried to reply in an understandable manner, it's just that you did it in a way that wasn't ideal, and so the people posting the original comment may or may not have noticed your answer. Just an honest mistake, I'd say, no big deal, so be it.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
mills

mills

by mills » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Thank you rgg, I`m just miffed really as the people who voted for my photos think of me as being rude as not to reply to their comments, they might be or not but, it does play on my conscience at times though !

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:30 am

To error is Human ... to Forgive is divine.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Don't sweat it. I can't speak for everyone, but when I leave a comment, I've usually forgotten about it before too long. I'm more apt to remember that someone had a great photo than I am that they didn't respond to a comment. Thanking and "You're welcoming" can get to be absurd; sure it's the polite thing to do, but some times we need to be a bit more informal and practical.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:41 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLIZaayfl5s[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mills

by mills » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:31 pm

I guess your right Buzz, I`m not sure how it works over your side of the pond but, here on UK Climbing we tend not to post a reply to comment, some people do but not many. I was just wandering what the general consensus was over there about replying; rude not to or don't matter ?
I have posted replies to ALL the people who commented on my photos but, obviously in a way which they have not been able to see my reply which makes me wonder about voting apathy !!! don't get me wrong I wont loose any sleep over it just sometimes I wonder if it`s worth bothering putting photos on the forum ! I don't vote as often as I could but when I do see amazing photos then yes I will vote and usually give a comment, cheers for replying to my post guys :O

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 pm

mills-

I wouldn't worry too much about the past (I wouldn't worry about it at all). Yeah... the culture here is to reply to all comments. I didn't know that initially so some of my oldest photos don't have replies. But now I reply. It's just sort of an acknowledgment that you like the comment (assuming you did).

Pics in the forums are good too. From what I can tell there are plenty of people that appreciate seeing this stuff, even if they are quiet or hidden from obvious view.

mills

by mills » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks chad, not looking at votes really I prefer comments on my photos good or bad ! I am quite intrigued how voting differs e.g- last photo I put on is of a slackliner in Snowdonia has done really well on UKC and has had over 9,000 hits on Flickr, on this site it`s had 20 views without a score...now is this strange, ah well cant beat them all I guess :)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Photos getting noticed is hit and miss. Yeah that pic only had 20 views... so just means no one had seen or noticed it. I hadn't!

It is a bit random and says not much about the pic itself.

Well look at that... at least it is on the home page now.

Return to Site Feedback