Potentially fun trip ruined by multiple menstrual cycles

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Tom Fralich

Re: Potentially fun trip ruined by multiple menstrual cycles

by Tom Fralich » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:34 am

Do you realize that you can prevent mensruation from ever interfering with climbing plans by asking your significant other to take birth control? The benefits of this are immeasurable. First, you won't end up with an unwanted child, which will almost certainly put a damper on your climbing. Second, by skipping the week of placebo pills in the pack and just continuing to take the active hormone, your partner can avoid ever having a period. That's right, EVER.

SKI

by SKI » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:54 am

Tom Fralich wrote:Do you realize that you can prevent mensruation from ever interfering with climbing plans by asking your significant other to take birth control? The benefits of this are immeasurable. First, you won't end up with an unwanted child, which will almost certainly put a damper on your climbing. Second, by skipping the week of placebo pills in the pack and just continuing to take the active hormone, your partner can avoid ever having a period. That's right, EVER.

Hooray for birth control!!!!!!!!!!!!

However it's super unhealthy (and potentially fatal) to dodge periods by forcing the yummy stuff to cling to the uteral wall. Though, being a selfish, naive and relatively young guy, I'm all for it.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 am

Yeah that's a possibility, but I think it was stated before in this thread that not all woman desire to take the pill.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

madeintahoe

by madeintahoe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Taking birth control pills and going to higher elevations can cause a blood clot...this happen to me a while back. So please be careful especially if you are going to be at any high elevations.

The following user would like to thank madeintahoe for this post
Princess Buttercup

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 am

According to the UIAA Medical Commission concensus statement:

"Women should consider avoiding the COC (oral contraceptive) if they are to spend more than a week above 4500m. Below 4500m it is almost certainly safe in an otherwise healthy active
non-smoking woman with no personal or family history of venous thrombosis or
thrombophilia."

Furthermore:

"A 1999 survey of 316 women on the Everest Base Camp Trek found that 30% were taking the combined oral contraceptive Pill, many for period control, and none came to any harm."

The risk of thrombosis at altitude is largely theoretical. Certainly there are anecdotal reports, but an underlying thrombophilia (such as Factor V Leiden) may play a role in these cases. If someone can show me any data to the contrary, I'll change my opinion.

AdamsKerr

Re:

by AdamsKerr » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am

Deleted User wrote:What's the highpoint of Road Island?

:lol:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 am

If her menstrual cycle starts AFTER you get started on your backpack trip. Just have a roll of this handy to fix the issue:

:) :) :)

:) :) Sorry

Previous

Return to General