Shoes verses boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Norman

Shoes verses boots

by Norman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:49 am

Nothing to do...new mountaingear.com catalog with La Sportiva Sandstone GTX shoe at 1lb 2 oz with Gortex lining on sale for 99 bucks. We've been into Pickets of Washington several times recently, weight is an issue. What's the advice? Shoes ok verses boots in Pickets or similar under 8,000 feet? and some snow? What are you using?

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 am

I believe you might be on the right track Norman. Boots are an oversold commodity in the Outdoor retail biz in my opinion. They provide solid profit margins, so lord forbid I discourage anyone (full disclosure, I have a vested interest). Please do buy and buy often. However, I often find myself in shoes surrounded by most folks in boots, even plastics at times. Once I get into 5.6 alpine rock or glaciers I utilize a technical light boot. But I have done many scrambles, even Canadian Rockies 11ers like Temple in shoes....with a huge smile on my face at the end of the day. I believe folks have maybe hurt their feet in the name of support and protection or my feet are made of steal, or a little of both. La Sportiva Exum Ridge is my main approach shoe.

climbandkayak

by climbandkayak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I like supporting MountainGear, but you may want to keep an eye on http://www.steapandcheap.com, as I see these shoes come up pretty regularly there.

CClaude

by CClaude » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm with Dow on this one. If you can safely use shoes (and I'll do it with large packs in the past, and I've worn them up to 19K ft), I'll continue to use shoes. There is a time and place for boots and when I feel its unsafe to proceed (like I REALLY do need crampons), I'll switch to boots.

PS: I've watched Dan Mazur in the Himalayas hiking at 17+K ft in flip flops, but then again he had lost some toes in the past (I believe it was on K2).

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 pm

I usually wear shoes for most hiking/climbing. I switch to boots if it's going to be cold (below 0), deep snow, on ice, or if I'm going to be climbing snow steeper than about 45 degrees. Strap-on crampons work fine with shoes at lower angles. I also switch to boots for multi-day winter trips to help my feet stay dry.

Joe White

by Joe White » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 pm

I also love using approach shoes for most scrambles and such which don't require crampons....

But...as of late...I've begun to use a stiff pair of hiking boots. The reason is because after a few serious ankle sprains my ankles seem to have become quite a bit more weak and seem to role more easily....so, a stiff pair of boots is now my go to approach shoe.

Return to Gear