Sierra Yellow-Legged Frog

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
peninsula

Re: Fixing things after messing them up: ribbet

by peninsula » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:36 pm

The Chief wrote:
gedurkee wrote:It's true that we do a good job of messing things up, but we're now becoming pretty good about fixing some of them. The froggies are a good case in point. There's now about 15 years of data that shows that we can, in fact, restore their habitat. Peninsula has done a good job here of posting that information. To a certain extent, what's been missed in a lot of the discussion has been the basic reasons for a National Park. Most of the western parks have become islands of what ecosystems were like before Europeans got here. Sure, we can quibble about what's natural. But a park is there to protect and preserve those fragile ecosystems as best we can; to restore, where possible, what's been lost. As critters, the mountain yellow legged frogs are critical to that ecosystem. It's not just about frogs vs. fish; it's about bugs, bears, snakes, birds etc. This is pretty well established. This is not just some whimsical hope, it's a matter of founding principals, law, court decisions and a very long history with discussions exactly like this.

But the other huge thing that seems to be missed in all the discussions on all the boards is how cool these frogs are and what a loss their presence has been to our experience of being in an alpine area. I think their rapid and widespread population crash over the last 20 years has most people wondering what's the point? -- simply because they have never seen them. Without the frogs for the last 20 odd years, they become some sort of nebulous abstraction that's too easy to dismiss. To me, the yellow legged frog is one of the iconic critters of the Sierra. I well remember hiking along lakeshores in the 60s and having hundreds of frogs leap from the grassy banks into the water; hearing the quick plop as they hit the surface and dived down into the mud. Within the next 20 years, most of those places were gone.

If you're going to dismiss the importance of native frogs, then the loss of pikas, golden eagles, wolverine, badgers, golden mantle ground squirrels etc. etc. isn't a much of a loss either, I suppose. Where do you draw the line? But everything that's there is at the heart of what the Sierra is. At the very least, it's what a National Park is there for. We can and do screw things up in enough other places that we really ought to do all we can to make sure parks, at least, maintain their ecological integrity.

Thanks,

George Durkee

And what about the 100's of 1000's of fish that will die in order to "possibly" restore these frogs to the Sierra habitat?

Aren't they..."cool".

I guess not.

But of course we know better, again, Right?

Chief,

No doubt, you know I agree with Durkee. I'm also figuring you enjoy getting into a pissing match just because you are you.

Those frogs are good critters. I like the fish too, but thinning 'em out isn't going turn the ecosystem upside down and there will still be plenty left for the likes of me or you. Look at this way, if hunters did not hunt deer or whatever, the deer and company would overpopulate and thin themselves out via starvation because we have no more grizzly or wolves where they ought to be. I've seen plenty of snakes for fish in the Sierra to know they are not necessarily a picture of a healthy ecosystem. That does not mean they can't stay, but there is plenty of room for others that have just as much a place in the Sierra if not more.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 pm

peninsula wrote:... but there is plenty of room for others that have just as much a place in the Sierra if not more.

Not getting into a pissing match.

I am just so disgusted how man continues to think he knows best.

Than 20 years from now he scratches his head and then goes.... "oh shit! How do we unfk this one?"

So, what is the clean up plan for removing all the 100's of 1000's of trout carcass's from these lakes, after they are terminated?

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:01 am

The Chief wrote:
peninsula wrote:... but there is plenty of room for others that have just as much a place in the Sierra if not more.

Not getting into a pissing match.

I am just so disgusted how man continues to think he knows best.

Than 20 years from now he scratches his head and then goes.... "oh shit! How do we unfk this one?"

So, what is the clean up plan for removing all the 100's of 1000's of trout carcass's from these lakes, after they are terminated?

I'm counting on you and me to be around long enough to find out.

no avatar
The Chief

Re: fish v. froggies ribbet redux

by The Chief » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:37 am

gedurkee wrote:... the air sac of the fish is punctured and the fish sink to the bottom. It's a definite increased nutrient load on lake, but doesn't seem to cause other impacts.

How are the air sacs of 100's of 1000's of adult trout, punctured.... may I ask?

peninsula

Re: fish v. froggies ribbet redux

by peninsula » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:17 am

The Chief wrote:
gedurkee wrote:... the air sac of the fish is punctured and the fish sink to the bottom. It's a definite increased nutrient load on lake, but doesn't seem to cause other impacts.

How are the air sacs of 100's of 1000's of adult trout, punctured.... may I ask?

I did not realize there was a puncture-air-sac method. My understanding is they are sterilizing these lakes of fish using gill nets (do gill nets puncture air sacs?). It is a three-year plus process and labor intensive. The use of chemicals has been considered as many lakes do not lend themselves to successful gill netting due to water depth and submerged barriers. I have made my voice clear in the opinion that chemicals are far more damaging than the fish themselves. Another factor for some lakes being off limits has to do with feeder streams, therefore most of these lakes will need to fairly high in elevation.

I understand Dusy Basin to a candidate (which I think could be a good educational location for the general public), and Dumbell Lakes Basin was on the list of potentials (which I remain adamantly opposed).

I'm not sure if I'm going to be heard, but if anyone wants to have a say, you can be sure numbers can make a difference, the more voices the better. Study this stuff and get involved.

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 am

I think there will be more openings for stocking lunkers while your not looking. And I hear those frog legs taste like chicken :wink:

no avatar
El Cuervo

by El Cuervo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:49 am

For those of you that are pro-fish, have you given any thought to adding your voice to those asking that cattle grazing permits NOT be extended in the Golden Trout Wilderness?

One of those permits will be coming up for review next year (2010).

NOTE: I miswrote. The permit in mind is good til 2015. More news as I get it.

Imagine this...

The pristine waters where these lovely trout got their start.

Now imagine hundreds of introduced cows tromping all over the place, destroying the banks, destroying the riparian vegetation, causing head-cuts, a big mess if you are a golden trout trying to do your thing.

If you want to pull for fish, pull for goldens where they naturally occur.

You may contact your local Inyo USFS range person to find out how you can let them know that native fish belong in the Golden Trout Wilderness, not Brangus beef cows.
Last edited by El Cuervo on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
The Chief

Re: ribbet

by The Chief » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:53 am

gedurkee wrote:

You may. It's done the old fashioned way. A couple of highly paid seasonal biologists spend the entire summer in a lake basin. Among other duties, they check their nets every couple of day, paddle out in their inner tubes (or haul the nets in); gather up all the fish that haven't already rotted and puncture the air sacks with a knife, then let them sink to the bottom.

You've also somewhat overstated the numbers. In the first year or so of netting, it's maybe 100 + per lake per few days. That number drops to dozens; then a few in following years. It takes maybe 3 to 5 years to get all the fish. Which is all to say it's manageable by a couple of people for an entire lake basin. I don't actually know the numbers killed in the existing programs, but I doubt it reaches even 100,000 fish for the 10 years it's been carried out through all of Sequoia Kings (though I could well be wrong... Might be worth checking on).

There are always openings in this exciting line of work! Call the number on your screen. Operators are standing by!

g.

I can guarantee ya that you'll NEVER get all the trout...never.

There are many more of these guys out thereImage than you think. Their livelihood depends on them trout. And not one on the Eastside will stand for any of what you state to be completed.

I guarantee ya that they will continue to reintroduce trout to them lakes. It will be a vicious cycle. Unless ya'll plan on having armed guards posted on the lakes for them ten years, it'll never happen.

I personally know several of these dudes. These guys are pissed to say the least. They aren't gonna stand for it.... watch!
Last edited by The Chief on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:01 am

I think Chief's point is that the trout have rights to life as well, regardless of their lack of endangerment status, which I much agree with, and I also very much agree with his viewpoint about the sanctity of all life. At the same time, as an ecologist I know that biodiversity is important in many ways. I hold this as an internal conflict for which there is no simple solution. But we do all have to recognize that "our" way of viewing the problem is certainly not the only way, nor necessarily the "right" way either. There are lots of different values and perspectives.

no avatar
El Cuervo

by El Cuervo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:03 am

thoughts on preserving these fish in their native waters?

Anyone?

Or is it just down with frogs?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:09 am

I just don't get this killing of one species to attempt to reintroduce another.

There is absolutely no guarantee that it will work. In the mean time, all those trout are killed in vain.

Insane I tell ya.... just frkn insane.

So what excuse will come in ten years of slaughter and the MYLF does not succeed. What reasoning to terminate all that life?

no avatar
El Cuervo

by El Cuervo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 am

Chief,

If you are so gung ho on trout, what is stopping you from promoting the protection of their native watershed?

Perhaps Peninsula is onto something with regards to pissing and contests.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:23 am

El Cuervo wrote:Chief,

If you are so gung ho on trout, what is stopping you from promoting the protection of their native watershed?

Perhaps Peninsula is onto something with regards to pissing and contests.

Ya know what, until this evening, I really didn't consider any action.

Now, I will in the morning, run over to my buddy's Fly Shop in Mammoth to sign up and join the growing coalition of Eastern Sierra Trout Fly Fisherman & Anglers that are formulating efforts to cease this act.

This whole act of senseless destruction is totally insane.

There are plenty of lakes up there that have NO trout in em.

Why not go seek the many that are empty and reintroduce the frogs into those body's of water?

PreviousNext

Return to California