Ski Resorts Are Finally Called Out!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
JJ

Ski Resorts Are Finally Called Out!

by JJ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:18 pm

For someone who lives in the mountains, I have known this for some time. To everyone else check it out.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jzinman/Papers/wintertime.pdf
Last edited by JJ on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Maybe we all don't need as fat a ski as we think.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm surprised that the exaggeration is this little. As long as I can remember, people have been highly skeptical of ski area reports, which often (in the east) eliminate little details like "it's raining today" or "the upper run is open, but it's all ice".

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:31 pm

Moapa - resorts can't say "ice" because it implies liability and, if someone were hurt, the resort would be more than likely to lose a claim against them. That's why it's called "packed powder" or "hardpack." It's BS, I know, but there's a whole allowable resort lingo and we were well coached on it as patrollers.

Great report - I scanned it quickly and look forward to reading it more in depth later. I didn't see in my brief overview the variations in snow depth from mountain base to mid-mountain to summit depth. There can be significant variation from top to bottom and thus discrepancies in reporting.

And we all knew, when I was at Winter Park, that Vail always doubled their snow fall depth for snow reports. :wink:

Bootboy

by Bootboy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I can say that I personally have experience with this. The ski resort I patrol at has long claimed an annual average snowfall of over 400 inches on their website. The average since '81-'82 (as long as accurate records have been kept) is actually a little over 300'. As a patroller, on different days its my responsibility to collect and report snowfall data and what I report is often not what shows up on the website.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Called out from what?

Ya'll will still go and fight to get on that lift to get to the top and be the first down.

What ever!

Do any of you really take this to heart when the snow flies?

Most if not all, are on the road, waiting and fighting to get on the lift in order to have first tracks in all that fresh POW.

I see this " gotta get the first tracks" attitude during and after every "dump". All regardless of depth and Snow Fall report.

This report is a totally a moot point.... ya'll will still pay and get on that lift.

Klenke

by Klenke » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:44 am

It's not completely a moot point.

Example: when it comes to deciding whether or not to ski Mission Ridge here in WA.

Mission Ridge: east of the crest ski resort with scant snowfall totals. Three times I skied there in my lifetime. Three times I went on the basis of their claim of X number of inches snow depth implying a covering of rocks and little trees, etc.. Three times I found myself skiing over or around rocks, mostly small ones but still large enough to gouge skis.

But, other than that, I agree with you, Chief.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:39 am

The Chief wrote:Called out from what?

Ya'll will still go and fight to get on that lift to get to the top and be the first down.

What ever!

Do any of you really take this to heart when the snow flies?

Most if not all, are on the road, waiting and fighting to get on the lift in order to have first tracks in all that fresh POW.

I see this " gotta get the first tracks" attitude during and after every "dump". All regardless of depth and Snow Fall report.

This report is a totally a moot point.... ya'll will still pay and get on that lift.

All good questions, Chief, but no. I don't resort ski any more for all the above reasons you've mentioned. I did that for almost 30 years. Sadly, resorts have changed dramatically and it's no longer about the "skier experience" but about the "money the resort can rake in for the shareholders so let's do what we can to get the yahoos on the hill."

I started out as a Nordic skier and I've returned to my roots, that is, earning my turns on whatever equipment is good for the day. Thus the only reports I read are on the Colorado Avalanche webpage. Beyond that, this report simply confirms what we already know. It's kinda like payback time and there are more than a few of us out there who feel this way.

pinscar

by pinscar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:37 am

MarthaP wrote:It's BS, I know, but there's a whole allowable resort lingo and we were well coached on it as patrollers.

Now that's interesting. Where did you patrol?

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:54 am

It doesn't really matter how much snow they get after the slopes are covered. They could have 20ft. and you could hit a rock thats 20ft. 1 in. tall.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:04 am

Gak Icenberg wrote:It doesn't really matter how much snow they get after the slopes are covered. They could have 20ft. and you could hit a rock thats 20ft. 1 in. tall.

Exactly!

Plus, 18" or 18'... does it really matter as long as you can enjoy your turns and have fun?

Give me a break.

The OP is typical American mentality.

Be grateful if ya got a Season Pass.

If ya don't, no one forces ya to drive to the resort and pay for your turns.

That's what these things are for.....

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:40 am

Ya Baby!!!

Return to General